1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Just checked the pressure on my M55 insert

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Aquion, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    I bought a manometer off Amazon a week or so ago. I needed something allow me to connect it to the 1/8" hole used to check the pressure on my stove. I went to Lowes last night and picked up a few fittings from the plumbing department, and they worked great. I spent about $6 on them. The hose and the fitting on the end of the hose that you see in the picture below came with the manometer. The other 2 fittings were the ones I bought.

I ran the stove on high for an hour (It got up to 84 in my living room), and checked the pressure. It was -.34. I had to close the damper almost all the way to get the pressure down to -.17. The stove has been running great. Hopefully, now it will run even better.

image.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    i like it...is very fancy...makes our analog ones look antique....and covered with soot.
    jtakeman likes this.
  3. ltlhawk

ltlhawk Member

Loc:
    Pelham, NH
    Had the same problem with my FS. I ended up making a small adapter to attach to my damper that extended it about 1". Now I can adjust the damper for the .15 -.17 spec.
  4. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.

X2 I want one. When the Mrs. isn't looking! ;)
    Delta-T likes this.
  5. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    The flame on lvl 2 is much higher than it was before. The glass looks cleaner too. I'm not sure how that could be though. I didn't clean the glass. Maybe it's just the extra light from the flame.
  6. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    It must be throwing more heat too. I'm on lvl 2 and my living room is 74. I'd usually be on lvl 3 when the outside temps are in the mid 20s.
  7. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I had to go check the price. Surprised the UEi Test Instruments EM151 is about the same as the Dwyer analog meter.
  8. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    At this point it seems that I have a lot less ash. I won't know for certain until I do a cleaning on the weekend, but after a day and a half since the last cleaning, there is very little ash in the stove. Also, the glass is staying cleaner. I still get some black in the upper right corner, but the patch is not as big or black as it has been.
  9. JF123

JF123 New Member

Loc:
    Seacoast NH
    I had to the same exact thing on my GC60. Damper all the way closed and still just barely in the recommended range.

Extra flame and heat seem to help the air wash. If I'm running on low for a while, the "eybrow" will extend further towards the center, but as soon as I crank it to 2 or 3 (or higher), glass cleans up considerably.
  10. Aquion

Aquion Member

Loc:
    Portland, CT
    So today was the first cleaning after a full week's burn since I corrected the pressure on my stove. There was less ash in the ash pan. Not a whole lot less but less. There was a lot less ash when I pulled the rod to clean the heat exchange tubes, and there was a lot less ash on the sides of the stove. Also, the glass was a breeze to clean. I usually have to scrub it good to get the black off. This time it just wiped right off. Also, the gunk on the burn pot liner was a lot easier to scrape off.