Just got my new Grundfos Alpha ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patch53

Dec 10, 2009
UP of Michigan
I feel just like a kid at Christmas LOL makes me want to start ripping out plumbing right now and get it working !

Attachments

• grundfos_59891649_LG.jpg
    grundfos_59891649_LG.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 458
I feel your joy. Who ever thought looking at a pump would be like looking at a gun or bow or something we're really are into.
Something what this hobby/pastime does to us.

Yup, exactly. I keep taking it in and out of the box and fiddling with it. The wife is getting jealous of it.... I better hide it ! ? LOL

I been eyeing one of these for a month , I have a few bills to pay then I too will be getting one and changeing out my main pump .
How soon are you planning on installing it , would be nice to know how it works for you .
Where abouts in the U.P. are you , I am just south of G.B.
Steve

Is this new pump a replacement for the boiler loop pump? If so is it a reasonable way to control return temperatures for boiler protection (against corrosion) or is a motorized danfoss 4 way preferable. Both are expensive but what's better?
Is a termovar or aquastat needed for both to regulate temperature?

I don't mean to be stupid but for us uneducated what does a Grundfos Alpha supposed to do for you. Hope your wife doesn't get too jealous.

webie said:
I been eyeing one of these for a month , I have a few bills to pay then I too will be getting one and changeing out my main pump .
How soon are you planning on installing it , would be nice to know how it works for you .
Where abouts in the U.P. are you , I am just south of G.B.
Steve

Hi Steve, actually I'm not installing it till next spring/summer, but I thought it was a good price so I might as well get it now. I figured by next summer they would probably be $50 more? The only thing I wondered about was if something better or improved comes out by then, but it would definitely be a major improvement over what I have now anyway.

I live about 15 miles north of Escanaba, near the quaint village of Rapid River. LOL The wife and I are probably going to G.B. the last week of the month for the All-Canada show, a little shopping, a little R&R, and a little....well, you know !?

Mushroom Man said:
Is this new pump a replacement for the boiler loop pump? If so is it a reasonable way to control return temperatures for boiler protection (against corrosion) or is a motorized danfoss 4 way preferable. Both are expensive but what's better?
Is a termovar or aquastat needed for both to regulate temperature?

No, I got this pump to replace my 3 Taco's I have on my house zones. Changing everything out to zone valves and the Alpha.

I'm going with storage next year w/ a system similar to nofossils "simple storage system". On the boiler loop I'm probably going to go with the Taco 0012 Delta T circulator. They are bit pricey, but look like they would be ideal for systems with storage. I think I'll wait for a while to buy that one tho, just in case Grundfos comes out with a similar pump. I should probably call them and ask the engineering guys if they have anything in the works.

As far as your other questions, sorry, I haven't a clue, way over my head !

patch53 said:
muleman51 said:
I don't mean to be stupid but for us uneducated what does a Grundfos Alpha supposed to do for you. Hope your wife doesn't get too jealous.

Mule, this will explain it a lot better than I could ....

http://net.grundfos.com/doc/webnet/poweredby/gpu/US/alpha2_technology.html

The wife is going to be OK, she was hurt, but she'll get over it ! LOL

Just remember, when you go on the trip, don't take the pump with you, or you might not get as much whatever... :lol: ;-P

Gooserider

I installed one of these to replace a Taco 0011, which was over sized for my system. I was having issues with the Termover valve not being able to fully open to warm the various zones sufficiently to heat the house. I removed the guts of the termover and set my pump aquastat at 150. I can now use the automatic setting on the pump. Uses under 10 watts most of the time with only 1-2 GPM showing on the display. House heats fine now. I have a 1979 Tasso cast iron wood boiler, 168,000 BTU/Hr, 2000 sq ft house, well insulated. Coldest morning to date: -4F.

Just wondering bigbob , does your agua stat kick the pump in and out then if the boiler cools down to much

webie said:
Just wondering bigbob , does your agua stat kick the pump in and out then if the boiler cools down to much

Kicks the pump on when boiler warms to 150, basically low temp protection, does not have a high limit. If pump is running and boiler temp drops due to cold water entering the boiler, pump kicks off till boiler re warms water.

Status
Not open for further replies.