Just got my oil filled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our electric rate is over twice yours, Red Devil. Electric heat is not even an option for me. This house used to have electric heat, and the former owners replaced it with oil/hot water. The wiring and relays for the electric are still in place, and the good news is that I have a 200 amp service.
I have been burning pellets since late January, and my oil consumption has dropped dramatically. I can already see the savings with pellets. At this rate, the stove (used) will be paid for next heating season. And, we all know how nice it is to have a fire going in the room that we can see.

My furnace only has a about a 6x6 window, dirty most of the time, plus it is in the utility room
with the pellets, stationary tub, washer/dryer, and whatever else.
I have a stone fireplace in the bar/living room, with a rocker besides the granite hearth
which I keep stocked with beer and snacks.
Have to make the best of it!!

Sounds good to me. We have a fireplace, but it is such a pain to lug the wood up a flight of stairs, etc., and then all the heat loss. Now I just sit down in front of the stove (see my avatar) and relax. It's a great sedative before going to bed.

Even thou i use barely any oil I'm still spending $140-200 a month on elctricity @8.99 cents KwH. kids', computer's, plasma TV, electric water heater all add up i guess.

Pellet-King said:
Even thou i use barely any oil I'm still spending $140-200 a month on elctricity @8.99 cents KwH. kids', computer's, plasma TV, electric water heater all add up i guess.

Gee, I just tossed my sidearm oil hot water heater so I could shut off and drain the darned useless boiler that sat in the cold basement. My rate with NYSEG has to be more than double yours and it's still a deal.

Driz said:
Pellet-King said:

Gee, I just tossed my sidearm oil hot water heater so I could shut off and drain the darned useless boiler that sat in the cold basement. My rate with NYSEG has to be more than double yours and it's still a deal.

Likely Pellet-King has a large ghost load, some of the electronics such as DVRs, cable set top boxes etc... can burn a lot of electricity even when not in use.

No DVR's just 2 HD boxes, 50" plasma which use 400 watt's, small chest freezer and man cave beer fridge, PS3's/Xbox's and 3 LCD tv's, I have a Killowatt meter, i suspect 50 gallon hot water heater in a cold cellar, even thou it's less than 3 yr's old it says almost $500 yr use on the energy guide, need to clamp on some kind of amp meter to measure 220v usage

Pellet-King said:
No DVR's just 2 HD boxes, 50" plasma which use 400 watt's, small chest freezer and man cave beer fridge, PS3's/Xbox's and 3 LCD tv's, I have a Killowatt meter, i suspect 50 gallon hot water heater in a cold cellar, even thou it's less than 3 yr's old it says almost $500 yr use on the energy guide, need to clamp on some kind of amp meter to measure 220v usage

Don't forget your pellet stove, electric stove, dishwasher, clothes dryer, and any well pump if you are on a well.

I did a quick calculation based upon your posted Kwh rate, the lowest of the bill range and figure you are using about 1,500+ Kwh/Month if that is a monthly bill.

Smokey, use about 1000 kwh per month, dont forget those wonderfull delivery charges!!, yes to the eletric stove/oven and dishwasher/fridge and the allmighty never energy star rated dryer!!

Pellet-King said:
Smokey, use about 1000 kwh per month, dont forget those wonderfull delivery charges!!, yes to the eletric stove/oven and dishwasher/fridge and the allmighty never energy star rated dryer!!

Then your per kw price isn't fully loaded and I'll bet those delivery prices track kwh as well (Funny how that seems to work isn't it?).

At this moment my largest single electrical consuming device is the pellet stove.

Most KWH used was back in Dec/Jan 2009/10 when we hit 749 KWH because of the thousands of miniature lights I put up for Christmas, well I do like to light up the place. 2010/11 saw all of the miniature lights go to LEDs the corresponding usage was 566 KWH.

I've got to take a meter to a few things (too many ghost loads).

I don't even want to think about toping my oil tank off at the moment, won't need to until sometime next year anyway so I can watch the prices.

geek said:
Pellet-King said:
Get a Electric water heater, either on demand or cheapy one from HD, I'm sooo glad ..., that I dont have to use ZERO OIL!!

how much is it installed?

I just put mine in last month and instead of anything super I just got a 259 dollar standard cheapy from Lowes. I couldn't see paying a premium for a 12 year tank when an annode takes 10 minutes to replace and only costs 20 bucks, its just not worth the double price. Overall the whole rig cost me just about 500 but relocated the tank in a warm closet and rerouted the lines so that I don't have to wait 3 minutes for hot water to get to the shower added nice shut offs and insulation ect. Nearly half the cost was the 10/2 roll of wire and grossly overpriced breaker I got from Lowes. No more oil for me, I am going to just drain the boiler and let it sit until next time we go on vacation. The electric bill is going to suck but it still can't cost more than that cursed tank sitting in the 40 F basement just weeping heat along with the boiler doing the same. I am not going to miss that super hot basement in the summer either................................

It doesn't seem like my indirect hw heater setup (separate zone) weeps that much heat.

It probably doesn't but unless you have a nice new condensing boiler that puppy sure will. I always wanted to relocate that Weil cell upstairs in the upstairs warm closet which would have been better but it started leaking after 15 years so I decided to make a change. That helped me justify the change over. I forgot to mention that in the prior post. My bad........ I can see if you have a finished basement or split level all that heat loss wouldn't be missed but in my case it's just waste.

Yeah. It's kind of a bummer that the gas company will likely never install a line in front of my house, but on the other hand, a more rural lifestyle is nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.