Just got my pellets delivered..cheapest in the nation-thanx to Depot error!!! (bunch of pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

offingmoot

Jul 15, 2008
Central/South Jersey
got 146 bags, all they had left....price = $2.49/bag.......$124.5/ton
plus they let me use a lowes coupon that was supposed to be $50 off a $500 purchase, but because they rang me up at 1/2 price it was much less than $500!!!

total price including $65 delivery = $378.54 for 4 bags short of three tons

add the $300/ton of pellets i got from my dealer and i paid $169.63/ton and $678.54 for 4 tons

Attachments

• Driveway_1.jpg
    Driveway_1.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 887
the guy with the forklift drove that thing like a fine art and placed one ton for me exactly where i wanted it inside the shed

Attachments

• Shed.jpg
    Shed.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 853
they were wrapped very well,
shrink wrapped, then the black plastic cover, then shrink wrapped again

Attachments

• Driveway_2.jpg
    Driveway_2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 868
brand

Attachments

• Freedom Fuel.jpg
    Freedom Fuel.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 847
pfi

Attachments

• PFI Stamp.jpg
    PFI Stamp.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 841
company

Attachments

• Natures Earth.jpg
    Natures Earth.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 835
only 3 busted bags out of the 96 that i loaded into the basement, looks a lot worse when the pellets get spread around
busted bags were all in the middle of the pile looked like busted up from someone grabbing them

Attachments

• Busted Bag.jpg
    Busted Bag.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 833
i moved all but about 20 bags by myself and a friend helped with 20
what a pretty sight!!!

Attachments

• Full stack in basement.jpg
    Full stack in basement.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 839
offingmoot said:
plus they let me use a lowes coupon that was supposed to be $50 off a $500 purchase, but because they rang me up at 1/2 price it was much less than $500!!!

Do you feel no moral obligation to tell them so they could fix their error? Would you keep the extra money if the clerk gave you change for a twenty but you paid for an item with a ten? Would you expect them to make it right if they overcharged you? Or is it okay to take advantage of them because they're big but not okay to take advantage of you because you're just a little person?

Just wondering.

years ago i never would have done this deal, i wouldnt have been able to sleep at night, but things are so bad these days
i dont know what things are like in your neck of the woods, but i get taken advantage of every single day
50 cents to go to the store because they put a highway toll by my house
$20 to park at a giants game and $25 to park in atlantic city
gas is expensive along with car insurance
they are raising my property tax
its 9.75 for a movie ticket 6.50 for popcorn and 4.50 for a 20oz of water...i can get a 32 case of bottled water for 4.24 at sams
people drive like nuts and there is a ton of traffic everywhere
my small town is built up like crazy and you cant even get around on the main roads w/o a 10 inute drive taking 40

everything in my life is a hassle and expensive so when a big box store makes a mistake i will take it

i gotta be honest though, i made the purchase a week ago and didnt take delivery until this weekend i really expected a phone call to adjust the price or cancel the deal and i was more than prepared to pay full price
oh and it was more than one employee involved in the mistake

DiggerJim said:
offingmoot said:

Do you feel no moral obligation to tell them so they could fix their error? Would you keep the extra money if the clerk gave you change for a twenty but you paid for an item with a ten? Would you expect them to make it right if they overcharged you? Or is it okay to take advantage of them because they're big but not okay to take advantage of you because you're just a little person?

Just wondering.

OUCH!! but i must say i agree the person that cashed you out is most likely out of a job or are in the bilge cleaning it as of today. I would not feel right inside knowing. But to each their own.

DiggerJim said:
offingmoot said:

Just wondering.
what would some one born on dec. 25 0000 do ?

Your logic of STEALING because you have to pay $9.75 for a movie ticket is bullcrap. People don't need to go to the movies, have satellite TV, cell phones, new cars, etc., but we sure can justify them. Nothing wrong if you can afford these things mind you. I guess it is okay for me to beat someone up pretty bad if I don't like how they look at me because there's someone in jail right now that committed murder. Two wrongs don't make a right and perhaps Karma doesn't mean anything to you.

</end rant>

offingmoot said:
years ago i never would have done this deal, i wouldnt have been able to sleep at night, but things are so bad these days
i dont know what things are like in your neck of the woods, but i get taken advantage of every single day
its 9.75 for a movie ticket 6.50 for popcorn and 4.50 for a 20oz of water...i can get a 32 case of bottled water for 4.24 at sams
my small town is built up like crazy and you cant even get around on the main roads w/o a 10 inute drive taking 40

everything in my life is a hassle and expensive so when a big box store makes a mistake i will take it

i gotta be honest though, i made the purchase a week ago and didnt take delivery until this weekend i really expected a phone call to adjust the price or cancel the deal and i was more than prepared to pay full price

Are you a troll? What Exit?

Oh, and I do not think you will get much sympathy for the price of ball tickets, movie tickets, pre-made popcorn and bottled water in these parts.

Better prepare for the cyber beating that's about to happen.

I say to each their own. I'ts not our call to judge . Anyway, everything goes full circle but if you can live with it then more power to ya. Muss

I JUST LOVE "HEARTH" !!!!!!!!!

DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE "PRICE GOUGING" (SOMETHING I DON'T BELIEVE EXISTS) OR "TAKING ADVANTAGE OF AN EMPLOYEE MISTAKE" , YOU WILL GET THE SMACK DOWN REGARDLESS!!!!

Ya gotta love it !
GO Digger Jim ! ROFLMAO

do the right thing... most of all for yourself...pay the balance due...better to burn well here, than burn hereafter!!!

I would have no problem whatsoever taking that deal from the Home Despot. If they don't have competent people, which at my local store they don't, that's their problem. Would the Depot be calling you if you got over-charged? Did you go in looking to get that deal? No. Is the Depot the least helpful place on the planet? Yes. Good for you. Happy burning.

offingmoot said:
I posed the questions because something similar almost happened to me this weekend. I went to pick up my pellets at a place that advertises by the ton but the pellets I got were on a 1.4 ton pallet - they had raised the per ton price but left the per pallet price - in smaller type & parenthesis - on their website. I pointed out that they had made that error and the guy thanked me, charged me the appropriate price (1.4 times the price per ton, not the lower small type price).

Then he asked if I would stack the other ton in my truck by hand as he had a pallet where several bags were torn when another pallet fell on them off a forklift. He offered me a $30 discount and said I could make up whatever was short (there were a dozen semi-filled bags because of the tears) with others off another pallet. My son & I stacked the loose ton in the truck and took an extra 4 bags from the other pallet. He asked afterwards if I had gotten compensated with enough extra bags - to which I said yes.

On the way home my 13 yr old asked me why I didn't take more bags especially since the guy had already charged me more than the website listed the 1.4 ton pallet for. I didn't really think about it at the time and just said we had done a fair deal and taking more wouldn't have been right. He agreed and we didn't talk about it anymore.

Fast forward to today and I saw your post and I was reminded of his acceptance of the correctness of my answer and I thought that was what Giuliani meant when he said he had to clean up crime in NYC by getting rid of the petty stuff - if we tolerate that, then it's easier to tolerate worse. And I was also reminded of something I read once but don't know who said: character is what you do when no one is looking.

I apologize if this is moralizing, but it's the little things that tear at the fabric of society and leave us less than we were. Ultimately we're all going to pay a bit more for everything at Home Depot to make up for the $400 you took from them today - you included.

Peace
Jim
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

BubbRubb said:
Your logic of STEALING because you have to pay $9.75 for a movie ticket is bullcrap. People don't need to go to the movies, have satellite TV, cell phones, new cars, etc., but we sure can justify them. Nothing wrong if you can afford these things mind you. I guess it is okay for me to beat someone up pretty bad if I don't like how they look at me because there's someone in jail right now that committed murder. Two wrongs don't make a right and perhaps Karma doesn't mean anything to you.

</end rant>

i noticed you only picked out the luxury things i mentioned in my first reply.....sure i dont have to go to the movies but it is sumthin me and the girl used to like to do until it just got way over priced, it used to be a simple pleasure

there were several other things i noted that i fel i get extorted for on a daily basis

BubbRubb said:

</end rant>

i do think of karma and i did stop to think that maybe somehow this is some good karma coming back my way....for the time i got hit by a drunk driver with no insurance and no licsense and had to shell out $750 for repairs
or the time i lent my buddy $500 to help get him off his feet with an agreement for a payback and never saw one cent of it

Kirk22 said:
offingmoot said:

Are you a troll? What Exit?

Oh, and I do not think you will get much sympathy for the price of ball tickets, movie tickets, pre-made popcorn and bottled water in these parts.

Better prepare for the cyber beating that's about to happen.

no i am not a troll just a guy who bought a pellet insert cause i didnt want to shell out another 3-4 grand too heat my house, i made a choice at depot and i dont feel all that bad about it, i am sorry if i upset anyone or sparked a controversy, didnt realize people would be so mad....anyway
i am exit 74
the things i mentioned are just a few things that i used to enjoy before they got out of hand

J-Man said:
I would have no problem whatsoever taking that deal from the Home Despot. If they don't have competent people, which at my local store they don't, that's their problem. Would the Depot be calling you if you got over-charged? Did you go in looking to get that deal? No. Is the Depot the least helpful place on the planet? Yes. Good for you. Happy burning.

at least i am not the only one

i just talked to my parents my mom wouldnt take a penny from anyone, my dad is normally an honest guy too but he has to admit if the oilman came out for delivery and only charged him 1/2 he would have a hard time turning it down

its a judgement call, i decided to ride it out and if they caught their mistake i would pay full if not i would take it

i also considered what they might have paid for them and if they still made a profit
does anyone know what they might pay per ton??

Status
Not open for further replies.