JUST INSTALLED MY NEW 25-IP AND HAVE QUESTIONS (ATTN MIKE H)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duramax_lbz

Sep 23, 2014
mass
sorry for the long story i am new to the pellet world ;sick

ok so got my stove on friday and did the outside burn in my garage and everything seemed fine . installed it last night and started her up i used the 3" pipe kit from amfm just adding another 90 degree bend and the oak. it was 59 degrees out so i kept the setting at 1-1 first thing that happened is the door latch came undone stopping the feed and killing the fire, re-latched the door and started it up again stayed burning for maybe 2 hrs but there is no flame i can see sparks and a red glow. i turned the settings to 2-2 and got the same results i figured that it was just because of the low settings and passed out on couch after a hr the fire was out.. i again cleaned all the un-burnt pellets out of burn put and restarted it this time i put the setting to 6-6. even with this setting i really did not have a visual flame all the time i would see it for a few seconds or untill pellets were fed to pot, the door sprung open again after a hr stopping feed but this time i caught it in time and the fire stayed going..anyway went back to sleep and woke up 3 hr later with the fire out and a bunch of pellets all in the pot and ash tray cause the auger kept feeding them after the fire was out ..

the glass is dirty but not black
lower 3 buttons are on 4-4-1
and the latch i have no clue why that springs open i made sure it was closed every time (i am gonna try grinding a little seat for pin to rest in hook

30bpnvb.jpg
this is showing the lack of flame

Last edited:
Reactions: Light in the Dark
On page 42 of the manual there's a short paragraph about adjusting the door latch. I'd check that out before firing up the grinder. Mine has never sprung open, but it's not exactly a positive engagement. There's no click or anything when it's latched. Maybe you just need to close it with a little more pressure.

It does look like you're getting flame in there from the picture. That's about what mine looks like on low/standby but it should be higher on 6-6. What happens on startup (with SU indicated on the panel)? During that time you should get a high flame until it completes the startup procedure.

You might have a sealing issue with the door, have you tried the dollar bill test ("Checking Gaskets" on page 31)?

i am gonna try checking the seals and latch adjustment later after work but im pretty sure these seals are good everything seems real tight when latched.
on start up it does have a nice flame and then when entering normal mode goes way smaller. the pic i posted was about a hr after turning on the stove later on in the night with the light off in the room you could barley see a red glow and like i said the fire completely went out 2 times so idk

So after startup, no matter what you set the heat range to you get that small flame? Keep in mind that there's some lag from when you change the setting to when you'll see it in the flame. Try setting it all the way up to 9 and see if you get a bigger flame after 10 minutes or so.
If you always get that small flame, check that the thermostat jumper is firmly in place (page 22). It could be that it's never coming out of standby. Still, even on standby, your fire shouldn't be going out, so there's something not right there.

i will check that as well thanks i read on 22 about running as on/off operation or high/low which one is better

I don't think there is a "better". It's a tradeoff between pellet usage and ignitor life. Typical wisdom is to run in hi/low during the main heating season as you will have a lot of demand. You can switch to on/off mode during shoulder seasons where the demand is more sporadic. Personally, I run in high/low mode whenever I'm running the stove. I tend to manually shut it off if the house is warmed up and the outside temp isn't too low.

Keep in mind that Hi/ Low and On/Off are only if you have a t-stat hooked up, otherwise it's just manual. If you don't have a t-stat hooked up, then there should be a jumper as mchasal pointed out. If you do have a t-stat hooked up and the stove is in high/ low mode then it will only go to whatever you've set it at when the t-stat calls for heat, otherwise it goes to heat range 1 (blower stays at whatever the max you set was).
So if you're using a t-stat, check the connections. Hi/ low when there isn't much demand for heat (this time of year) will result in a dirtier burn running mostly on low. On/Off is better suited for the shoulder seasons since it will run at whatever setting you have (preferably over 1 or 2) instead of just idling. The t-stat should be one with an adjustable swing setting if you are using on/off mode, otherwise it will cycle on and off too frequently causing lots of extra electrical use (from the 300w igniter) and more wear on the igniter.
Once the weather gets cold, high/low will probably work best for you. My stove normally just stays running 24/7 during winter months, and seems quite happy doing so.
Some of the Lux models have adjustable swing while most of the Honeywell's don't. Only a few of the newer Lux models offer it so you may want to look at recently discontinued models on Amazon (like the TX1500E) to get it without needing to buy the fanciest model.

i think it was def. the seal i adjusted the door and it really grabs good now. during startup i had a big flame which is normal then it came down then i put the setting on 1-1 and left the house came back 2hr later stove still running good here are 2 pics i took after about 3 hr of running the fist pic was the lowest the flame went at one point (that i noticed wasnt staring at stove for 4hrs haha) and the second pic was where the flames were about 60%of the time a few time the flame got really high but came down after the next cycle of pellets so i think i am good thanks for everyone who helped especially mike for the call excellent customer service!

Attachments

• 20141014_203638.jpg
    20141014_203638.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 122
  • 20141014_205508.jpg
    20141014_205508.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 141
Status
Not open for further replies.