Just made a few trips to the woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just stepped out the workshop door, selected three splits from the stack, brought them in and reloaded the stove. I'll keep you posted. Rick

I just went outside the back door and picked up a piece of locust, a piece of cherry and two pieces of ash. I then brought them in and threw them in the stove, closed the door and opened the air. I don't know if I should mention it, or if it even makes any difference, but I had to give the pieces of ash a good whack to get the snow off of them. The smaller piece needed whacked twice.

Woodford said:
I just went outside the back door and picked up a piece of locust, a piece of cherry and two pieces of ash. I then brought them in and threw them in the stove, closed the door and opened the air. I don't know if I should mention it, or if it even makes any difference, but I had to give the pieces of ash a good whack to get the snow off of them. The smaller piece needed whacked twice.

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

pics?

2eodt1s.jpg

:lol: Nice T-shirt, the blue looks good on you. Rick

I'm thinking that next trip, I'll bring these three in. I dunno...which ones would you guys pick? Rick

Attachments

• next.jpg
    next.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 1,076
I never saw a picture of goose bumps before. :lol:

Right now, the stove is full of coals and I pulled a small split out of the oversized pickle jar but it was light. It would've gone up like a slightly used tissue. I quickly returned it and opted for another. It went real well. I read once where a guy put one in, waited until it caught fire, and took it out again.

I quickly got dressed and went out to do something important...but forgot what it was. So then I went back in and sat by the stove.

fossil said:
I'm thinking that next trip, I'll bring these three in. I dunno...which ones would you guys pick? Rick

Rick- It's only Monday. Stick with the lightest ones and maybe only go two at a time.
Good luck friend and let us know how it goes-
Ken

I'm only burning the little Century in the workshop...there's only so much it'll swallow at a time. Typically one nice half-round in the back and then whatever else I can stuff in. Don't worry, Kenny, I won't hurt myself, unless it's while re-splitting some of this wood. Rick

fossil said:
there's only so much it'll swallow at a time. Typically one nice half-round in the back and then whatever else I can stuff in.
Wait a minute you never said that in your post. That changes everything. The logs that you chose are clearly the right ones.

Had I been burning the big Liberty, you'd have been completely justified in pointing out what a stupid choice I'd made. I should have made that clear from the outset of this erudite discussion. I think your choice of attire, with the color blending and all, was marvelous. Rick

fossil said:
I think your choice of attire, with the color blending and all, was marvelous. Rick

I concur that the brilliant blue really made the picture pop!
I'm more impressed with the number of splits balanced on one arm.
As you mature, you may consider splitting that into two loads, or even more.
After looking at that picture twice, I had to sit down and take a break.

kenny chaos said:
fossil said:
I think your choice of attire, with the color blending and all, was marvelous. Rick

I concur that the brilliant blue really made the picture pop!
I'm more impressed with the number of splits balanced on one arm.
As you mature, you may consider splitting that into two loads, or even more.
After looking at that picture twice, I had to sit down and take a break.
It's already half the load it used to be.

Question? What kind of wood are those 3 splits you have in your arm? Is the 1 red oak?

Let me guess.....you guys like watching paint dry also. It's been to dang cold out 'round here to "select" the right, properly aged vintage splits. We don't do more do more than grab loads and hustle back inside.

I take my canvas tote outside- I must admit I bring in a few more splits than you. Good choice, though. Mine is like a 'wood buffet', a veritable smorgasbord of tree pieces. "Hmmm, let's take a few Locust, some of this gnarly Red Oak, and some of the Cherry. Oh, and a little bit of Oak kindling, and... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.