Just noticed...no surge protectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alan Kaf said:
I'm a bit skeptical of any of these UPS's (most of them) that output a modified sine wave. Modified-sine-wave backups are fine for electronic equipment that transforms, via linear or switching power supplies to lower DC voltages. But I'm concerned about the AC motors in pellet stoves running off anything but a true sine-wave output supply.

Of course, true-sine-wave UPS's are much more expensive....

It has been mentioned in other threads that our pellet stoves don't work well, if at all, on modified sine-wave UPC's, and what you mentioned about the AC motors only liking pure sine wave is correct. As for "much more expensive", which is more expensive...a good pure sine wave UPC, or replacing the electronics in the stove? I guess that would be the deciding factor for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.