Just ordered a 35' x 6" InsulFlex kit From Magnaflex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmeister55

Jul 11, 2009
Detroit area, Michigan
Just ordered a 35' x 6" InsulFlex kit From Magnaflex. Should receive it very soon and will let you know how everything goes!

6"x35' insul flex kit, 316ti
304ss oval to round adapter
deluxe SS 304 flashing
deluxe SS 304 Raincap
45 degree elbow
8" to 6" reducer for a 8" stove.

The lower 5 feet is oval

I haven't ordered an Insulflex liner from him, but I've bought a couple of std. SS liner kits from him and his price/service is hard to beat.

mmeister55 said:
deluxe SS 304 flashing
deluxe SS 304 Raincap
45 degree elbow

The lower 5 feet is oval

Wow, is that a lot of pieces or an avg amount? I haven't done it yet but thought I'd use a few less pieces. If I understand it right it would go something like this?

Raincap
Flashing
6in round for 30ft
6in oval last 5 ft
6in oval to 6in round adapter
6in round to 8in round increaser

8in 45deg elbow
8in round stove exhaust flue

So irt the piping there are 4 connection points. It may not have worked for your application but does anyone know if they make an 8in round to 6in oval piece that could take the place of the 2 similarly colored pieces above? When you get all the pieces maybe you could take pics of them all lined up as they'll go down the chimney?

Also, was the 5ft oval pipe section just for getting through the damper or did you need it for something else?
Thanks

One other thought. Do people with this sort of configuration usually sweep the top 30ft with a round brush then switch to an oval brush and do it again or is the top portion the only section that really needs the sweeping because it cools down more quickly than the section right next to the stove?

mmeister55 said:
Just ordered a 35' x 6" InsulFlex kit From Magnaflex. Should receive it very soon and will let you know how everything goes!

deluxe SS 304 flashing
deluxe SS 304 Raincap
45 degree elbow

The lower 5 feet is oval

This looks to be a really interesting product, please give us a review of what you think. Also some pictures would be great if not too much trouble. Thanks, Jim

Hey, how did the install on this go? I also got a (shorter) 6" insulflex kit which we will install on Saturday. Just noticed that the top plate/raincap is marked 7". Is that because it is going around the outer, insulated layer? I like that it's a little bigger but want to be sure it will fit and all! And I was not sure how to attach it into the adapter at the bottom, too, because I wasn't sure whether to just strip the insulation for the portion that attaches and is sandwiched in there. Magnaflex indicated that I should strip the insulation for that part. But I am still a little worried about the cap reading 7" now!

I've had my 6" Insulflex liner installed for over 1 month, and my experience is as follows.

The product's performance has been great. I have instant draft, never any smokeouts (into the room), and I can turn my stove from a docile yet hot burner into a raging and fear inspiring blast furnace if I want to.

The installation of the InsulFlex is where I think I'd like to give more details to you all. By the nature of this product it is relatively heavy. A 6" inner SS, insulation, and then an outer 7.375" SS is much more weight than a traditional liner. Because of this weight I had a very hard time installing the liner. In fact becuase of my chimeny height and inexperience it was almost a disaster. What happened was that I hired a 35' tree trimming lift truck and a driver to help feed to liner down my 32' tall chimney. I went up there to the top and decided that I couldn't mentally handle the rickety basket I was in at that height. So the driver went up with the liner and tried to feed it down. He turned out to be quite a brute and failed to use any finesse in his efforts which resulted in him getting the liner stuck about 6 feet into the chimney. He couldn't get it in or out at that point and he gave up and went home! Yes, leaving 29 feet of the liner hanging across the top of my house. However, I got very lucky because I was able to get a friend of mine to come out with a 65' tall lift truck the next morning. With the 2 of us in the basket we were able to pry the liner out, bring it down and straighten the kinks out of it. Next, he had to go up a FULL 50' up in the basket to get a straight shot down the chimney and with me gently pulling the liner down with a rope from inside the fireplace and him very carefully feeding the liner, we got it in.

You need to get at least a full 10' above the chimney in order to feed the insulflex down. You will not be able to simply stand at the same height as the chimney and expect to be able to bend the liner down into the top. It has to be more of a straight shot, especially if you are going longer than 25'. See the attached picture for a visual.

I recommend Insulflex as long as you can handle the install safely. It has performed great for me so far, and next year I will see how much creosote I have in there. Theoretically it should be very little.

You can purchase Insulflex from dealers in your area, or you can purchase it online by contacting Hearth.com member TheHeatElement and inquiring about the online ordering process.

Attachments

• insulflex-feed.jpg
    insulflex-feed.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 305
That sounds kinda funny magna

You can purchase Insulflex from dealers in your area, or you can purchase it online by contacting Hearth.com member TheHeatElement and inquiring about the online ordering process.

The stove is an Appalachian 52 Bay. It has an 8" exit and the manufacturer puts in writing that you can step it down to a 6" with no negative effect. So the way I did this was I installed a custom made offset box that not only does a 4" horizontal offset, but also steps down from 8" to 6". The intake of the offset box is 8" and the exit is 6". The box was made by Magnaflex and they did a great job. I have very little vertical space to work with, so this box was a lifesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.