Just ordered my Soot Eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Well, after numerous failed attempts with bottom up cleaning and rods that were not flexible enough, I ordered myself a Soot Eater from Gardus today.
Thanks for the input/suggestions from this forum, as I have a good comfort knowing that folks have used the product here and works well.
I won't miss writing out the $155 check every year to the sweep :)

daveswoodhauler said:
Well, after numerous failed attempts with bottom up cleaning and rods that were not flexible enough, I ordered myself a Soot Eater from Gardus today.
Thanks for the input/suggestions from this forum, as I have a good comfort knowing that folks have used the product here and works well.

We expect a full report after first use ;-)
I'm considering one as my 15' of class A is easy enough but I would like to be able to clean the two 45deg elbows and connector pipe between the stove and class A with out removing the connector pipe.

You're gonna love it. I used mine last year for the first time with great results!

I love mine also. I used it on 8 X 12 terra cotta tile last year from the bottom up and it worked great. This year i will be using it in a liner.

3fordasho said:
daveswoodhauler said:

We expect a full report after first use ;-)
I'm considering one as my 15' of class A is easy enough but I would like to be able to clean the two 45deg elbows and connector pipe between the stove and class A with out removing the connector pipe.

Yup, I'll be reporting back with the results...maybe a step by step of my use of it.
Actually bought 2 kits, as the one is only good for 18 feet, and I have about 26 to work with. Was just going to buy the extra 2 rods, but ordered another kit and now I can clean out my furnace chimney as well from the basement.
I'll post back with the results and you guys/gals can see what a mess I make of the place lol

I use mine on a windy day and stand upwind to keep the soot from blowing all over me.

I just got the ship notification for my soot eater. I hope it meets my high expectations. Of course with all the glowing reviews from members of Hearth.com I fully expect it to.

Just another problem with this website, it makes me buy more stuff.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
I just got the ship notification for my soot eater. I hope it meets my high expectations. Of course with all the glowing reviews from members of Hearth.com I fully expect it to.

Shawn

Still waiting for mine to ship, bummer.
Craig should approach Gardus to get some adds on his website...seems like a revenue opportunity for sure.

daveswoodhauler said:
shawneyboy said:

Shawn

Still waiting for mine to ship, bummer.
Craig should approach Gardus to get some adds on his website...seems like a revenue opportunity for sure.

Dave,
I look forward to your review and before and after pics.. I am thinking about this myself.. My 6" s/s liner is about 18' high and pretty straight.. I would use it from the roof more than likely.. I think one kit would be adequate for my setup and would pay for itself right away..

Ray

i have worn mine out i use it so often. i burn a conventional wood boiler and probably clean the pipe more often than i need to. i can do it with a step ladder on the ground since i put a tee in about 8' off the ground. no roof climbing for me. other than fumbling with the disconnect system with gloves on, it works real nice. save the instructions for it as the replacement whips (also know as weedeater cord) dont tell you how long to cut it for what diameter pipe.

futureboiler said:
i have worn mine out i use it so often. i burn a conventional wood boiler and probably clean the pipe more often than i need to. i can do it with a step ladder on the ground since i put a tee in about 8' off the ground. no roof climbing for me. other than fumbling with the disconnect system with gloves on, it works real nice. save the instructions for it as the replacement whips (also know as weedeater cord) dont tell you how long to cut it for what diameter pipe.

My liner setup is a Tee with a 10" snout then goes up 18'.. I would think the that even though it would probably make the Tee OK it wouldn't start to work correctly for a few feet.. If I do it from the roof it would work well all the way down to the cap on the Tee and the snout I could clean by hand then vacuum out the Tee.. What do you think?

Ray

I use it on my 6inch liner. It works great. My brother borrowed it and cleaned his chimney and then wanted to see how well it worked so he called his usual chimney cleaner and they charged him $160 or something like that, to do nothing. They said the chimney was clean. I have a 6 inch liner and he has an 8 inch liner. He also has a very tight 90 degree bend and it was no problem. You are going to love it.

Well, ordered it from Amazon on the morning of 9/9, and they still haven't shipped the freakin thing yet....cmon amazon.....I gotta try this thing out...its going to be gettin in the 40's here at night later this week.

So for those who have this...how well does it work?.. I don't do heights so I wont get on the roof...does it work good from bottom up?

daveswoodhauler said:
Well, ordered it from Amazon on the morning of 9/9, and they still haven't shipped the freakin thing yet....cmon amazon.....I gotta try this thing out...its going to be gettin in the 40's here at night later this week.

I ordered mine 9-8 and already have the extension rods. Fed ex says the rest should arrive today.

If its on the porch when I get home, I should have a fun evening!

Ok, it has been shipped....was in Syracuse this am...hope its here for Friday.

steeltowninwv said:
So for those who have this...how well does it work?.. I don't do heights so I wont get on the roof...does it work good from bottom up?

I only do my chimney cleaning from the bottom up. Works great!

On truck for delivery....wooohoo!

We have about 1 ft of slip stove attached to the class A coupling. I cut the bottom off a 1 gal non-tox antifreeze bottle, thread the sooteater through the neck hole, and use blue painter tape to affix the bottle to the slip pipe. Start cleaning and SWMBO holds a hepa filter vacuum cleaner nozzle near the opening and she is able to capture about 95% of the soot.

Retired Guy said:
We have about 1 ft of slip stove attached to the class A coupling. I cut the bottom off a 1 gal non-tox antifreeze bottle, thread the sooteater through the neck hole, and use blue painter tape to affix the bottle to the slip pipe. Start cleaning and SWMBO holds a hepa filter vacuum cleaner nozzle near the opening and she is able to capture about 95% of the soot.

Good idea retired guy. I got the kit today, and I was wondering how I was going to hold the rod while it was being spun by the drill...I guess I can just cut off the top of a 2 litle bottle or something, and just feel the rod through that...now that I am thinking about it, I might cut a plastic gallon jug as that had a handle, and I can hold the handle whith the rod through the spout.

Going to tackle the clean tomorrow, and I've even talked the wife into giving me a hand....I plan on taking some pics and the results.

I'll need to do this alone at my cabin. As you're doing it, see if you can think of a clever way that one person could this. Any tips would be appreciated!

DanCorcoran said:
I'll need to do this alone at my cabin. As you're doing it, see if you can think of a clever way that one person could this. Any tips would be appreciated!

Kinda been thinking about that myself....was going to start by somehow draping off the front of the stove to reduce soot....I have a shop vac and screen porch right next to the stove, so I was going to place the shop vac outside on the porch and just feed the pipe into my "drapery" to collect the soot and stuff. Was thinking of hanging the plasic over the front of the insert and brick, and then using a small hole in the middle to accomodate the rods and shop vac piping into the bottom of the insert.

All I know is that whatever I do I am sure I am going to make it messy as hell :)

Be sure to use a HEPA filter in your shopvac...soot goes right through a regular filter (don't ask how I know).

DanCorcoran said:
Be sure to use a HEPA filter in your shopvac...soot goes right through a regular filter (don't ask how I know).

Darnit Dan, now I gotta go out and buy a HEPA filter for my shopvac? :)
Ok, what will happen if I don't buy a HEPA filter? (Have normal papertype filter on the shopvac now)
Shop vac will be on screen porch....I really want to get this done tomorrow, and now I gotta go find a HEPA filter :(

daveswoodhauler said:
Darnit Dan, now I gotta go out and buy a HEPA filter for my shopvac? :)
Ok, what will happen if I don't buy a HEPA filter? (Have normal papertype filter on the shopvac now)
Shop vac will be on screen porch....I really want to get this done tomorrow, and now I gotta go find a HEPA filter :(

Without the HEPA filter, it really boils down to where you want the soot that will make it thought the paper filter. Depending on how well appointed your porch is, it may not be an issue. It it were me and I was absolutely set on cleaning before I could get a HEPA filter, I would certainly make sure the exhaust for the vac was not in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.