Just split help - pine? Maple? Hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frased

Apr 1, 2018
MA
Just split one of these rounds open... trying to figure out what wood species this is please help?
9B5115BB-1700-4910-A0DA-D1F70F1DABBB.jpeg BC80E5B6-E74B-4C76-B553-BDB0DC89806F.jpeg
8B541944-CE2A-4781-B98C-179802696AA8.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything screams maple - except for the quite large dark center. I have seen maples with a dark center but not usually that big. The only thing I know of that does is walnut. That said - I still think its maple.

Looks kind of like Norway Maple, it has dark heartwood/ white sapwood like that, though bark doesn't look correct.
Norway has tight x pattern bark typically...

Any notable smell? Maple is a sweet fruity sugarcane smell, hickory sweet nutty with a barnyard smell, pine...smells like pine.

Silver maple

Looks kind of like Norway Maple, it has dark heartwood/ white sapwood like that, though bark doesn't look correct.
Norway has tight x pattern bark typically...

Any notable smell? Maple is a sweet fruity sugarcane smell, hickory sweet nutty with a barnyard smell, pine...smells like pine.

So I did the smell test DEFINITELY a sweet fruity sugarcane smell... honestly we think it even smells like apples! Smells incredible.

Still considered a silver maple or is it sugar maple?

So I did the smell test DEFINITELY a sweet fruity sugarcane smell... honestly we think it even smells like apples! Smells incredible.

Still considered a silver maple or is it sugar maple?
Then is Sure Ain't Silver Maple.....

Reactions: frased
I'd also say maple. Which species, not sure without a bud picture. Positive id can always be made through the buds. Does not look like Norway maple bark to me, which always reminds me of ash.

My vote is for Red Maple. Red Maple does have a darker center like that and about that size in larger trees. That fits the bill. Kevin

Red maple

Then is Sure Ain't Silver Maple.....

What does silver maple smell like?

Red and norway smell the same to me. Typically I think red maple has darker/reddish sapwood and lighter heartwood. Red is always pretty common a lot of the US so never a bad guess.

Anyone familiar with any other maples? Black or box elder if not silver?

bark looks like the silver maples here. it not box elder wood doesn't look like that. and pine does a better job at burning than box elder

Safe to say it’s maple.

What species is still debatable it seems.

Definitely that strong sugarcane smell though like fresh cut apples

Yeah, I am pretty sure it is some flavor of maple. I’ll bet that would have made some amazingly ornate lumber.

Reactions: JSeery and frased