JUST STUMBLED ACROSS THIS COZY PLACE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the duck

Nov 21, 2007
toronto
BOUGHT A NEW HOUSE, WONDERING ABOUT A JOTUL?
oops caps lock on, things seem kind of pricey are they any good for heating

They've been in business a long time. Good stoves. If you are going for enameled, they do the best job (IMHO).

Welcome aboard,

When I bought my first unit (not a Jotul) back in the early 70's they were around... and pricey. But they put out a quality product and many other companies have come and gone.

What you pay out now will add value to your new home, so look at it as an investment and an eventual money saver too.

Good luck with your new home and your first Thanksgiving day in it,
Jim & Kathy

And to answer the second part of your question, set up correctly, they are wonderful for heating.

When you consider price. Consider that price over a 10 or 20 year spread.
Now there are some quality less expensive stoves with no bells & whistles. Englander comes to mind, great stove, workhorse, does a great job.
Come to think of it, you can get brass accessories & such so some bells & whistles. But other cheaper made & priced stoves, will only last a few seasons, so your actually paying more than if you figure a good stove over a long period of time. Get what catches your eye, and something well made to perform.

hog's right, comes down to taste, and desired performance. jotul is a quality unit, one of many on the market. check out the reviews section of the site for input. only thing i have heard about them that isnt glowing is some models have relatively small fireboxes, but that size fills a niche in the market, usually the complaint is due to undersizing the stove for the job at hand. ensure that the unit you select is sized for the job you wish it to do. if jotul has that unit , its hard to argue against going with it. like i said, they are a quality company with a great line of stoves.

okay have had a wee look and a shop around.
2200 dollars for the f600 looks nice and sharp ,
now all i need is to pick it up and install it,
thats where the fun begins am sure,
theres alreday a chimney there so should not be too hard ,
i hope

It usually takes a bit more planning than just plunking her in there.

How large is the house, does it have an open floorplan?

How large is the room that the stove will be in?

Describe the existing chimney, interior or exterior? Masonry or stainless steel? Size of the flue?

Posting some pictures of the existing flue and hearth will also help.

wow too much at once, and heres me thinking i just plunkt it on the floor,
no got a clue the chimney condition dont get the keys till dec 14th,
rooms pretty big maybe 18 by 10, with slidein doors going into a room maybe 30x 15,
im going to need an expert arent i?

Yep. A woodstove is not like plunking in a refrigerator or other appliance. There are a lot of safety considerations and code issues that need to be covered. That's a good thing, it protects you and your home and makes the insurance company happy. BTW, you'll need to notify them too.

Did you have a house inspection before the purchase? There may be information on the flue and its condition there.

no i had some competition with the house and the other folk had an passed a house inspection, then i snaked it,lol
but the chimneys are all in good condition as far as the eye can see,
there all empty fireplaces with small holes, thus the idea of a large woodstove,
i asked a few companies here in toronto, but the price diffence is over a thousand bux between here and michigan for the unit,
that gives me 1300 to play with for installation, im sure its the right idea to bring the temp up in the house.
what would you use?
its an old victorian mansion type house,
and i need a stove to look like it belongs there thus the jotul f600, im sure there are more on the market ive not came across yet,
just need something big 2500 sq feet would do the downstairs im sure,
as you can guess no much of a fireplace expert

No problem, I think the F600 is a great stove. Just checking to be sure it's not too big for the job. If the downstairs is a fairly open floorplan and you locate the stove centrally on an interior chimney, it should work well.

One thing for sure is don't trust an unknown chimney. It will need a professional inspection to determine whether it is safe for wood burning now. It may be fine. If not, there are some options to bring it into workable condition. Your stove shop should be able to help you out here.

And you'll probably need a new hearth floor around your stove. Here in the States the hearth must protect 18" out from the doors. Is the mantel wood? Best to look up local building code for specs before you do anything. Lots and lots of things to think about?

Again, welcome aboard!

Hi, just got my stove a few weeks ago. I burn 24/7 and I'm heating 2100 sq. ft. Although it hasn't been real cold here yet, it heats the house well. If I run it any more than 400* I have start opening windows. I'm confident that it will perform fine in the dead of winter and these other guys are saying, take all necessary precautions.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
these other guys are saying, take all necessary precautions.

Jim

Just trying to wisen him to keep his home from burning down. Stoves are wonderful things to heat up your home, but you are also dealing with a dangerous tool. I had a chimney fire many years back and it sounded like a freight train running through the middle of the house. In the home we live in now the hearth was waaaaay from being up to code and rug burns proved it. So we remedied that problem and have a better feeling of safety.

So as many say here... safe than sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.