Just want to say thank you!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rhodie

Oct 29, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I have learned enough reading here to commit to an insert that should balance various wishes and is code happy without fuss. Getting some light work done on the fireplace, installing a mantle shield and then someone else will do the rest to install a Neo 2.5! The shop was a bit cautious as they’ve had a few customers fireplaces not be large enough - our lower level fireplace has room to spare, assuming the manual is correct. Really, really!!, appreciate all I’ve read here. Looking forward to having new questions to deal with but pretty sure the answers are likely already here.

I'll bet you're excited. Post some pictures before and after it's installed!

Success will depend on the fuel. Do you have a good supply of fully seasoned firewood on hand?

Think so. We kept most of two 110' doug firs we had taken down almost 2 years ago. Spouse split most of it right after so it should be reasonably seasoned by now. Looking at those piles is what got me started reading this forum and getting the spouse on board. We have a few cords of logs from starting to take out non native and invasive smaller trees (also need a good chipper). I will let those sit longer because they weren't split. Have one more 120' doug fir I'd like taken out but have to wait to rebuild the garage to get the best access. That's ok because we need to put in a bigger woodshed. Every year various neighbors around have taken out a few big firs and donate most of the wood because people don't seem to burn much, outdoor fire pits are popular in the summer. Houses nearby were built in the 50s so I think a number of trees are just getting big enough to be a bother for people on smaller lots - we are on the outskirts of a larger city but have a large lot (for this area), most of which is forested and abuts a city forest preserve that only deer, coyotes, bobcats and cougars seem to use.

Split doug fir seasons quickly so you should be fine. You'll always want a bigger woodshed!

The neo was installed and has had some break in burns. One of our cats is starting to hang out in front of it (rolling around, belly up), although he might disappear if the paint smells again at higher temps. This may be the start of a great relationship for him (as long as I keep feeding it wood). ;)

eta - will post pics once I’m back to a real computer.

Reactions: begreen
<<. We kept most of two 110' doug firs we had taken down almost 2 years ago. Spouse split most of it right after >>

Heh, heh! So was your husband ALWAYS a hunk, or just since he split all that wood?

Should be an excellent physical fitness program in the years to come!

I understand it can be a great program for ladies, too....

At first we were going to rent a splitter but the rounds were too heavy to lift. I should measure what the stump diameters were. I think yhe tree cutter was surprised, we kept everything and mulched the yard with the chipped branches. Anyway, spouse started splitting the rounds and then never got around to renting that splitter. He has mentioned that it was great exercise. (which is great, have more trees to thin out). My mil has a neighbor who loaned her his electric (smallish) splitter. Of course we got to operate that for her.

At first we were going to rent a splitter but the rounds were too heavy to lift. I should measure what the stump diameters were. I think yhe tree cutter was surprised, we kept everything and mulched the yard with the chipped branches. Anyway, spouse started splitting the rounds and then never got around to renting that splitter. He has mentioned that it was great exercise. (which is great, have more trees to thin out). My mil has a neighbor who loaned her his electric (smallish) splitter. Of course we got to operate that for her.

There are plenty of splitters that allow for both horizontal and vertical operation so you only have to roll the rounds over to it and not lift them up onto it. May help in the future if you run into this situation again.

ooh, thanks CentralVAWoodHeat, that's good to know. I didn't see anything like that around us but I might look farther afield should someone not want to split the next big tree rounds :)

here is a before, after install (bigger surround is on back order) and with cat (maybe not in that order, getting the hang of uploading pictures, not sure all are going to post)

Just want to say thank you!

Attachments

• Just want to say thank you!
    dwnstrs-fp.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 62
    dwnstrs-fp.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 69
    dwnstr-fp-cat.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 68