1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Kalamazoo Stove Question

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Prichan, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Prichan

Prichan New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    I have a very large old Kalamazoo Franklin stove, assume it is coal/wood, brown simulated wood cast iron. The grate in firebox is broken and need to replace the micah window panes. Does anybody have idea where I might be able to get parts for this monster? Would like to use it to heat my barn.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Try calling Woodmans and see if they can help with the grate. The mica window (isinglass) is available from multiple locations in sheets you trim to size.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A local ironworks can probably fab a grate for that beast.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If that is an open hole under the door, game over. Time for the scrap yard.
  5. Prichan

Prichan New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Yeah that is a missing door to nowhere it looks like. I think the stove would work without it.
  6. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It would work as a garbage burner, outdoors only! Inside of a building you need a way to regulate the air supply to the fire. That missing door held the air regulator(s). In the least, make a new door with reliable air regulation copied from an old Fisher or Jotul.
  7. Prichan

Prichan New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Thanks be green. It might be worth it reviving that old stove, it'd kick some heat wicked.
  8. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Make sure that it is good condition throughout. Examine carefully for any cracks. The last thing you want is that stove splitting open with a belly of fire. Note that it will need 3 ft in all directions from any combustible.
  9. Prichan

Prichan New Member

Loc:
    Maine
    Seems no cracks in the structure save for the grate which is removable. It's a beast. It's got a crank handle what connects to cogged wheels inside that I think must have been to clean the burnt coal or ash out.
  10. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Definitely a coal stove. That could be a problem. Even if you made your own door the air supply will not be correct for wood burning. I would scrap it and get a used wood stove instead.