Kedel or Okofen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they lining your chimney too at that price? Is your install exceedingly difficult? That does sound VERY steep! Heck, even with all the maximum options added from here: http://kedelboilers.com/meet-kedel/our-pellet-boiler/ for the 68k model with the big bag and I can not add up to $22k! Who is the installer?

That 22K price tag is exactly why I had called you out when you said you got yours for less that a Harman. YOU got lucky! I have heard of similar quotes.

AND the unit only costs Re-Vision about 4K.

That 22K price tag is exactly why I had called you out when you said you got yours for less that a Harman. YOU got lucky! I have heard of similar quotes.

AND the unit only costs Re-Vision about 4K.
Wow....22k for the Kedel just makes me think gouging every time I think about it. For that much I would keep burning wood without a second thought! I'm wondering if some install companies are boosting prices because they know the rebate is available. Instead of drumming up extra work they are drumming up extra cash? I know when I bought my VW TDi a few dealerships had prices higher than MSRP... they said I would get the money back later with my tax return ($1300 tax credit). They were hoping I didn't know how to look at more honest dealerships since all the cars got the tax credit.

The biggest shocker is I recently did a proposal for work to convert a building we have to pellet heat. Kedel was the least expensive by a LOT. Windhager was next followed by MeSYS and Froling in a tie at more than double the Kedel's quote.

$22K !!! I must be missing something. I had a Kedel installed last fall I redid ALL the piping from the basement ceiling down, new circulators, new manifold, new wiring, hot water and connected my oil furnace to the system as well. The unit was the 102k with 700lb hopper and I wasn't even close to $22k. Even if I had contracted all the plumbing and prep I did myself I would have had to pay over $300 per hour to reach $22k and that is at a novice's pace. I know of several Kedel installs and ALL have been at the figures on the Kedel site or less. Is this a difficult install? Additional equipment? Silo? Have to air drop the equipment in? Could it be that that at least 50% of this $22k may be related to site specific issues? If you were quoted $22k for a typical install with no extras that certainly is unrealistic. However, someone could say they were quoted $22k for a standard refrigerator. Sounds unrealistic until they reveal that the quote includes remodeling the kitchen.

Reactions: DZL_Damon
Right Seat, can you describe what the scope of the work was on your quote? I've been to the dealer (just for comparison) to have my brakes done and heard $800+, while the guy down the street said $400. Dealer quote had lots of extras, while Bob didn't include much more than the basic parts and work. If I ever get to replace my old heating system, I know they're going to have to go crazy. Leaks, bad design, works like a three legged horse pulling a plow. In other words, it's more than just the boiler that needs to go. Wiring? Done by a blind, drunk, crazy house painter.

Oh, yeah. Thank heaven for the woodstove.

The original quote included installation of the boiler, 3 ton hopper, draft inducer, domestic hot water (indirect or heat pump), radiator in bed room downstairs, and all new zones, which is not needed since I already have my zones set up. It's not (in my opinion) a difficult install, although it will make for tight quarters if I have any space left for storage.

Install Kedel & 3 ton hopper $15,600. (originally quote $17,200 with new zone valves)
Heat Pump $4,000 or Indirect Hot Water Tank $3,600 (80 gallons)
Another $700 if I want a radiator installed in bed room down stairs

I burn roughly 600 gallons of oil @3.50/gal = $2,100 Heat & Hot Water
3.5 tons of pellets x $209 = $731.50 Heat only
New annual consumption in pellet 7.4 tons x $260 = $1924 (no idea what electricity is on the heat pump).

Complicating factors with installation can often run up the costs pretty quickly.
We just quoted one a little over $17K that is going to tie into a furnace/duct system.
The install features addition of a rather complicated chimney install plus removing the downflow furnace from it's base and raising it to accept a hot water coil underneath it. There is also a 80 gallon buffer tank in the mix.

Last edited:
I burn roughly 600 gallons of oil @3.50/gal = $2,100 Heat & Hot Water
3.5 tons of pellets x $209 = $731.50 Heat only
New annual consumption in pellet 7.4 tons x $260 = $1924 (no idea what electricity is on the heat pump).
So, you're saving $900 annually, putting your break-even at 20+ years?

With a tax credit of $5,000 I would be looking at about $14-$15k and roughly 15 year break even point as I see it...
Correctamundo. I always seem to forget something and if the spread between oil and pellets increase, then the payback will be quicker.

The original quote included installation of the boiler, 3 ton hopper, draft inducer, domestic hot water (indirect or heat pump), radiator in bed room downstairs, and all new zones, which is not needed since I already have my zones set up. It's not (in my opinion) a difficult install, although it will make for tight quarters if I have any space left for storage.

Install Kedel & 3 ton hopper $15,600. (originally quote $17,200 with new zone valves)
Heat Pump $4,000 or Indirect Hot Water Tank $3,600 (80 gallons)
Another $700 if I want a radiator installed in bed room down stairs

I

Which 3 ton hopper did you have quoted? Metal, bag, poly...?

I was quite shocked to hear 22k for the 54k BTUs unit.

Install Kedel (68kBTU) & 3 ton hopper $15,600.

The devil is in the details it would appear! Replumbing the heating system completely is a lot different than simply adding a pellet boiler. You could have also save almost $1000 from that price with their standard bag vs. the cloth I believe.

I'm glad this is not a case of a company gouging prices to take advantage of the rebates available... it seems more the title of the article sucked me in!

But they did increase their prices as soon as the rebate went into effect!
It was slightly before, and I asked why since I noticed too...

They increased their warranty for the heat exhchanger/pressure vessel from 7 years to 30 years.

Last edited:
Sinnian, may I ask, how do you know the price a company pays for a boiler? I'm just curious. If we knew what brake rotors cost NAPA at the barest minimum, we'd all probably walk right out of the store. But every rotor has many hands on it from factory lathe to local counter that contribute/cost something. You seem to have an axe to grind.

The devil is in the details it would appear! Replumbing the heating system completely is a lot different than simply adding a pellet boiler. You could have also save almost $1000 from that price with their standard bag vs. the cloth I believe.

I'm glad this is not a case of a company gouging prices to take advantage of the rebates available... it seems more the title of the article sucked me in!

Me too, Diesel. I've been doing a bit of research on pellet heat, and it seems like this is meant to polarize folks against one place/company for reasons I don't quite follow.

Reactions: DZL_Damon
For those of you in New England, there is the upcoming "Heating the Northeast conference" in Portland Maine on April 10/11-2014.

During this event there is also a Green Heating Fair on Thursday evening and Friday morning. Many pellet boiler manufacturers are exhibiting there.
It's FREE and open to the public. Featuring geothermal, solar, cord wood, and alternative heating solutions.
Check out the latest in heating products and services, and learn how you can save big on your home heating bill next winter. In addition to dozens of vendors, the event will feature instructional sessions on heating your home, celebrity appearances, and free take-aways to help you get started heating locally!

Program: http://nebiomassheat.com/program.php

Exhibitors: http://nebiomassheat.com/exhibitor.php#list

I would say go visit this Heating Fair if you are looking for a pellet boiler.
You can feel, touch, shake and smell many of the appliances discussed in this topic, and convince yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: chken and sinnian
Sinnian, may I ask, how do you know the price a company pays for a boiler? I'm just curious. If we knew what brake rotors cost NAPA at the barest minimum, we'd all probably walk right out of the store. But every rotor has many hands on it from factory lathe to local counter that contribute/cost something. You seem to have an axe to grind.

I know someone in the industry who was previously in negotiations with "Kedel" to be the distributor.

For those of you in New England, there is the upcoming "Heating the Northeast conference" in Portland Maine on April 10/11-2014.

During this event there is also a Green Heating Fair on Thursday evening and Friday morning. Many pellet boiler manufacturers are exhibiting there.
It's FREE and open to the public. Featuring geothermal, solar, cord wood, and alternative heating solutions.
Check out the latest in heating products and services, and learn how you can save big on your home heating bill next winter. In addition to dozens of vendors, the event will feature instructional sessions on heating your home, celebrity appearances, and free take-aways to help you get started heating locally!

Program: http://nebiomassheat.com/program.php

Exhibitors: http://nebiomassheat.com/exhibitor.php#list

I would say go visit this Heating Fair if you are looking for a pellet boiler.
You can feel, touch, shake and smell many of the appliances discussed in this topic, and convince yourself.

Marc it doesn't say WHERE in Portland the Expo is taking place. ??? (Or did I miss it?)

It is at the Cumberland County Civic Center that was just remodeled in Portland. Foamit UP

Any idea why they would quote to replace the zone piping? How old is the existing system? Does it heat well?
Current system heats well, although I am assuming the system was installed and plumbed in 91 which is the date the Utica boiler was manufactured. Existing plumbing will be used. As for the hopper storage, it is their 3 ton ABS hopper storage (which I assumed was cloth).

Status
Not open for further replies.