keep horizontal runs to a minimum..right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new guy

May 20, 2013
the county, me
Putting in the new super 27. My old connector pipe went straight up and 90'd into the timble. This stoves outlet placement is more twords the center causing me to add 6-8 inches of horizontal from the 90 to the thimble. Wouldn't I be better off trying to use 2 45's to get the pipe out further instead of 8" of horizontal? Thinking of draft loss of course.

How tall is the chimney from the thimble to the cap? Does the chimney have a 6" stainless liner in it?

Your stove manual should have a chart in it that shows you how much horizontal pipe can be used based on the height of your chimney. Your always better off using 45's to lessen the restriction on the exhaust, most of the black pipe 90's are adjustable anyway.

Thimble to cap, about 13 feet, ill go with 2 45's. The thimble has about a 16 inch run of horizontal already. Insulated liner has been my saving grace.

Last edited:
Always better to use the 45s. Always better to have less horizontal. But I have always had a foot and a half of horizontal into the thimble/liner with good performance. With I can't remember right now how many stoves in the basement.

Heck it is two feet horizontal through the thimble to the chimney. But 35 feet up after that.

With 13 ft of chimney you want to give it all the help you can. Go for the 45s with an offset.

Amen to that BG.

And welcome to the forums to The new guy from "The County" in Maine.

Status
Not open for further replies.