Keeping your view glass clean and the fire viewable...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SidecarFlip

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
S.E. Michigan
Maybe it won't work for a wood fired stove but, I keep my view glass ash and haze clean by using a NATURAL BRISTLE paintbrush on it, while it's in operation (my corn stove). I buy the cheap Harbor Freight chip brushes (a dozen for 5 bucks) and use those.

I'll open the door when the stove is running and brush the view glass off and close the door. I do that a couple times a day and it stays clean. and tidy...

With a wood stove, you do have to open the door the add fuel, I'd think that would be an opportune time to brush off the view glass.

Just be sure NOT TO use a poly bristle brush. The plastic bristles will melt to the glass. A NATURAL bristle brush won't melt and will withstand the hot glass heat quite nicely.,

Thinking if it works on my stove, should work on a chunk wood stove too.

If a wood stove is run properly with dry wood glass stays clean. I get some haze after few days though. I believe it’s ash baked into the glass wonder if your suggestion would work for me. I will have to try it.

The glass on my corn burner gets pretty darn hot, hot enough to light a cigarette off of... Only takes a minute when you are loading in wood to clean it. Natural bristle paintbrush, a cheap one.