Kentucky coffeetree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

Went to look at a job after work, lady has two huge trees she wants taken out. She said they were some kind of 'nut' tree, I was hoping for some hickory but was still pleasantly surprised to find out they were actually Kentucky coffeetrees. One of them should produce some millable logs, the other not so much but lots of firewood. Probably around two to three cord, all said and done, with a couple of logs for milling. Took some pictures.of the leaves and of some pods on the one tree, didn't get a stand-back pic because I was in a hurry. Going to tackle this job in November or December. I saw on the one BTU chart that.it is right up there around red elm, a little.below honey locust. Plus they say it smells good,I personally have never burned it before. Guess we'll find out down the road!

2012-08-10_15-25-37_42.jpg 2012-08-10_15-25-06_70.jpg

Never burned it Scotty, but if it smells like coffee, I'm in. Big fan of the coffee bean here.
I'd like to see some pics of that milled as well.

Reactions: ScotO
Also known as the γυμνοκλαδυς

That is a pretty rare tree around here. Were those planted by somebody or wild trees? I can't recall ever seeing any wild ones in our area.

That is a pretty rare tree around here. Were those planted by somebody or wild trees? I can't recall ever seeing any wild ones in our area.
WD, I'm sure they were planted by one of the previous homeowner. The house appears to be built around the turn of the century. They must have been planted years ago as decorative trees on either side of the entryway to the house, but now they've overgrown (they are fairly close to the house). Both trees will need to be pieced down.

That's a shame they were too close to the house. The picture looks like it is a strong & healthy tree. Being here in Ky, they are not common at all in this part of the state. I personally don't know of where any stands of wild or planted ones are in my neck of the woods. Used to be our state tree. Now, it is the tulip poplar. Never burned it, but it should be just fine!

Seen a few larger trees some years back on rural roads in neighboring county.Bought a small piece of it years ago from now closed small hardwood retailer.Very similar to Honey Locust in color,texture & grain pattern.Just not quite the density.Quite rare around here in the wild,prefers lowlands,near streams,creeks or rivers normally.

I cant remember the latin from dendrology but im pretty sure its in the locust family, and the pods would give that away as well as bark and leaves. It dont smell like coffee if burned but rather we were taught in school that the settlers or those without much money would either use the leaves or bark to make cofee, i just cant remember, its one of those jeewiz things to help jog your memory on a specific tree in the course. And sometimes would be an extra credit thing on a quiz of a certain tree at quiz time. Sad to say but trees like this that are rare and not common are often forgotton. But 10 years ago when in dendro i could of told you everything about in including family genus and species in latin.

Reactions: Realstone
Its a legume alright,distant cousin to Black Locust,Honey Locust & the Mesquites.

That's a shame they were too close to the house. The picture looks like it is a strong & healthy tree. Being here in Ky, they are not common at all in this part of the state. I personally don't know of where any stands of wild or planted ones are in my neck of the woods. Used to be our state tree. Now, it is the tulip poplar. Never burned it, but it should be just fine!
The real shame of it is that she had a new water line installed off of the main, and they cut a pile of roots when trenching for the line. Not to mention they skinned a big section of the one tree with the backhoe bucket. Sloppy job by the contractor who installed the line! But some of the branches on these trees are snapped (from the strong storms and downbursts we had a couple months back), she's really getting nervy about the trees damaging the house so they gots to go. I plan on saving some for lumber because, as others have stated, these trees are like hen's teeth around these parts.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That's a new one on me Scott. I'd never heard of it before.

Never heard of what, Hen's teeth or a kentucky coffee tree?

Great Scotty. Wish we had more exotics (well exotic to us anyway) around here. Will you feed us pics when you C/S/S & mill it?

Mother in law?;)

Reactions: Realstone and ScotO
Great Scotty. Wish we had more exotics (well exotic to us anyway) around here. Will you feed us pics when you C/S/S & mill it?
Absolutely! Won't be for several months, first I gotta get my living room done before the holidays or 'mum' isn't gonna be happy......

Reactions: Realstone
scotty
i'd bet that would make a sweet longbow.
if/when you get to milling it, and you're willing to part with a piece, i'll pay you for it plus the shipping.
ain't no way any of my buds have a coffeetree bow !!

OT

I'll keep you in mind. I'm not worried about you paying for the wood itself, but if you pay the shipping, I'll send a piece out. Won't be till this winter when I cut the tree though!

I can guarantee you that the shirt I wear when I cut that tree will be in the garbage before I ever get home.....why in the hell would you ever want that?

Absolutely! Won't be for several months, first I gotta get my living room done before the holidays or 'mum' isn't gonna be happy......
Scotty, your wife just called. She tells me the next lumber you touch better be dressed four sides ;)

Scotty, can and will you send me one of your sweaty tee shirts when you cut that tree ;lol
Dude! That's just dag-nasty :oops:

hahaha

scotty
i'd bet that would make a sweet longbow.
if/when you get to milling it, and you're willing to part with a piece, i'll pay you for it plus the shipping.
ain't no way any of my buds have a coffeetree bow !!

OT
It's Supposed to have properties similar to honeylocust - good luck OT!

Status
Not open for further replies.