Kentucky coffeetree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just found out that I got the coffeetree job, first or second week of November and they are coming down! Kinda looking forward to this job in some ways (for the different species to burn and to mill) but feel bad about taking them down at the same time (because of the rarity of the tree in general). But, they own the home and they want them gone for several reasons, so they are scheduled in the book. I'll post pics when the time comes......

It's Supposed to have properties similar to honeylocust - good luck OT!

thanks osage -

looks like osage in your avatar. must be nice to have it available. we don't have any of that here and i've only made 2 osage bows in my life. i have one seasoned (10%mc) osage stave ready to work but its only 60" so i'm not terribly anxious to work on it. i've been mainly working with locust and hickory. as you said i'm guessing coffeetree is gonna behave very similar to locust.

Hey OT - I've only made 2 hickory bows, a few red oak board bows and about 8 osage.The one in the pic is 58" NTN but I only draw 27". Have ya ever spliced billets? Got plenty of billet sized stuff that's dry.

Hey OT - I've only made 2 hickory bows, a few red oak board bows and about 8 osage.The one in the pic is 58" NTN but I only draw 27". Have ya ever spliced billets? Got plenty of billet sized stuff that's dry.

i have spliced billets but i take them to a friend who has a bandsaw so they match up perfectly. i'd like to try cutting the joints by hand, like with a pull saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.