Kerr TW2000 Back-puff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jackching

Jan 22, 2022
P.E
So im running this wood boiler for in floor heating. It seems that the furnace has to produce high heat in order to heat the upstairs floors therefore a big flame is needed. The problem is that when a big fire is going and it comes time for the draft to shut, it'll back puff into the house from the draft over half the time. Is there such thing as a draft motor that'll shut 90% of the way to let the flame slacken off then close the rest of the way after say a minute? I thought as i was writing this that maybe i can adjust the draft to only open half way by adjusting the chain. Does anyone know of any other ways to fix this?

PXL_20220123_150132169.jpg PXL_20220123_150223376.jpg

Your supercharging the fire and air then smothering it causing the puff. Maybe a large paperclip on the damper will keep it from completely closing. Otherwise drilling a couple small holes or adjusting the chain. You need just enough air to maintain combustion.

Your supercharging the fire and air then smothering it causing the puff. Maybe a large paperclip on the damper will keep it from completely closing. Otherwise drilling a couple small holes or adjusting the chain. You need just enough air to maintain combustion.
I feel like if i used a paper clip that it'll keep running too hot. I think that because even now when the draft shuts that it dumps into the dump zone quite a bit as it is. I tried adjusting the chain down one notch and it seems to close too much now and im barely getting a flame. When you said drill a couple of small holes did you mean where the chain hooks in?

No in the damper, the same thing would be accomplished with a paperclip. Just not to starve the fire from air.

How often are you loading? Maybe try not as often and with not as much wood?
Loading larger splits would help too...small stuff will get to off-gassing pretty hard.
Also, is there any adjustment for "top air" on that machine? Air that comes in above the fire...if there is try opening that more.

Loading larger splits would help too...small stuff will get to off-gassing pretty hard.
Also, is there any adjustment for "top air" on that machine? Air that comes in above the fire...if there is try opening that more.
The small stuff has to get burnt too though. There is no other adjustment for top air. There are just 4 baffle plates on top of the inside at 45 degree angle each with two holes in them,

The small stuff has to get burnt too though
Right...can just use it for kinlin, and a lil can be mixed into a load of larger splits...in general I'd start splitting larger for your future stash

Making larger splits has helped my Econoburn run better...
Lower flue temps,probaly less back puffing

Ya but the small sticks still have to be burned.
So burn them, just don't put a whole load of them in...lots of biggins, and few small, 'til they are gone...

Reactions: salecker