Kettle boil over on steel stove - bad or okay?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey all. I've been burning some really nice oak that no matter how much I try to damper down and control, get's my stovetop up to 700F. I have a cast iron kettle filled with water on top of a cast iron trivet on the top, but it still manages to boil over pretty quickly!

Even by under filling by an inch or so, sooner or later the water starts to boil over, hit the top of the stove, and instantly turn to steam.

I see it leaves some stains under the trivet but I think I can clean those out at the end of the year.

My question is, is this bad for the stove? Don't want to risk a crack or anything. I was thinking since the water is already hot from boiling, it is closer to the stovetop temp than would pouring ice cold water on a hot stove.

My stove is made of steel, if that matters.

Thanks guys!

I would try to avoid it. At the least you will need to repaint that area (which is easy but smells bad the first time you fire it).

It's never actually hurt my stove, though.

Thanks for the tips. Does the boiling off really cause the paint to go? Recently when the stove was cool I wiped it down with a bit of soap and water and looked pretty much the same as before.

Thanks for the tips. Does the boiling off really cause the paint to go? Recently when the stove was cool I wiped it down with a bit of soap and water and looked pretty much the same as before.
Yes boil over will eventually cause damage I see many stoves with heavy rust and pitting on the top from pots

Reactions: Hoytman
It will certainly rust. Plug in a humidifier, they work better anyway. Save your stove finish.

I found no appreciable increase in measured humidity with stove stop boiling shenanigans. Don’t bother, not worth the effort or risk.

Humidifiers do a great job of humidifying if that’s your goal.

Making some hot water for tea? Sure, use the stove.

Reactions: BURNard
Rather than a kettle maybe use an open pot. The neck of the kettle can cause it to spurt.

Thanks all for the tips! Will keep that all in mind going forward

I really want one! But having trouble finding one small enough for my insert's stove top. The maximum width I can fit is a 4", maybe 4 1/4" but dont want it hanging off and tipping. I found a kettle that small but havent had good luck with a lattice steamer

I put a slab of soapstone between stovetop and kettle. Gets hot enough to steam but not boil. I have no idea whether this helps air humidity. I initially put kettle on top of stove to prevent cats from jumping on stove. Cats are prone to do anything at least once.

Reactions: NickW
begreen is spot on! An open vessel will not boil over. There are nice stove top steamers with lattice tops out there.

As a brewer of beer I disagree, open vessels easily boil over. Even pure water will boil over if the vessel is too full and the boil vigorous. Then you also have the spills associated with filling the pot. It’s just a bad idea all around.

Meh, if you like the steamer and you're not afraid to wire brush and paint the top of the stove every year or two, go for it.

Just don't let your surface rust go because it will turn into pitting as bholler said.

Reactions: Highbeam
Just use a small humidifier. Problem solved.

Humidifier for humidifying. An oven for cooking. People always enjoy pioneer type stuff on a stove even far superior methods are available. It’s fun and usually harmless but certainly not ideal.

I just like to keep things simple. I don't want to buy an expensive humidifier, that needs constantly filled and plugged in, and rely on unreliable tech. A kettle might not be superior in its ability to humidify, but it is the winner in terms of simplicity and reliability!

To be perfectly honest where I'm at, it makes true sense to stop burning wood and just use the oil powered central heat. But for the same reasons I listed above, I stick to wood!

Yikes! stove top boil overs are super unpleasant.

We keep a pot/trivet on the stove when burning wood ...I feel it minimizes the frequency/severity of the static shocks. We got this at a stove shop and it's the first device thats not boiled over.

Also we hang our laundry up indoors too... easy when it's only the two of us.

I just like to keep things simple. I don't want to buy an expensive humidifier, that needs constantly filled and plugged in, and rely on unreliable tech. A kettle might not be superior in its ability to humidify, but it is the winner in terms of simplicity and reliability!

To be perfectly honest where I'm at, it makes true sense to stop burning wood and just use the oil powered central heat. But for the same reasons I listed above, I stick to wood!
Mine cost $20. Prob less than your kettle and trivet