Kids and wood heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJ64

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2008
NE Oklahoma
I figure it is about time to pay tribute to the lil brush packers, and wood stackers among us.

This is the youngest two at my house.

Attachments

• kids and spliter.jpg
    kids and spliter.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 847
Here's my 5YO helper with 4.5 cords of split doug fir.

Attachments

• heaped.jpg
    heaped.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 848
I like that picture!

From the appearance I think you meant to say

"Here’s my 5YO helper with HER 4.5 cords of split doug fir."

Some from last winter........

WoodButcher

Attachments

• DSC_6402.jpg
    DSC_6402.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 768
  • woodbutcher_wood_hauler.jpg
    woodbutcher_wood_hauler.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 761
I figure by age four the little ones need to appreciate the effort to split by hand before moving up to the gas powered equipment.
summer2007158.jpg

Great pics! I think this is a good thing. In a world where most kids have not a clue where their food comes from, these kids will have a sense of how things are done, and a sense of what it takes to heat a home. This reminds me of the old saying about giving a man a fish so he can eat for a day and teaching him to fish so he can eat for life. I think these kids will have that kind of leg up in life. :)

struggle said:
I figure by age four the little ones need to appreciate the effort to split by hand before moving up to the gas powered equipment.
summer2007158.jpg
now thats priceless

She is not one bit afraid to give it a try. :)

Eye protection for the little ones...and us lost causes too. No exceptions...

Nice to see her giving it a go!

My guys are a bit older. They are a big help but at this age, it's Miller time by the end of the day. That can be fun too!

Attachments

• wood-splitters.jpg
    wood-splitters.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 522
Woodbutcher. that pic of your son in the little black truck carrying wood just killed me .................... lol ................. great pic!

FatttFire said:
Woodbutcher. that pic of your son in the little black truck carrying wood just killed me .................... lol ................. great pic!

I agree. I have to say that kid has been hauling wood since a much earlier age than anybody I know of.

I'll have one old enough to get the beer for me next year. I think it will be awhile before he gains the taste to have any himself though.

In the wood shed pic, did anybody notice how neat the wood is stacked in there? That lil guy stacks better at his age than I ever did! :)

I can remember when my kids were cute and helpfull like that. Now they are 20 and 17 going on 35. You really have to crack the whip just to get them off the couch!

Status
Not open for further replies.