Kindling driers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
These are my home made kindling convectors, self named. I used trash cans from home depot and drill a few 1/4" holes in the very bottom to allow any water that got in to get out, and 15 1" holes around the top edge and 10 1" holes around the bottom edge. I filled them with debris from the hydraulic splitter and X25. Most of what i put in was fresh cut white/red oak from a log load. The logs were around 55% when i bucked them. I've had the cans sitting in the driveway in full sun since march. This morning i was reading this thread and got curious, ive been using this kindling for a few shoulder burns so i know its realllllly dry, but just how dry. Well it appears we have gotten WAAAYYYYY past equilibrium. I split a few of the larger pieces and found that i'm around 5-8%. My infrared thermometer was telling me the contents were at about 105 degrees late afternoon middle of august........ This stuff is like match light charcoal, i just hold a grill lighter to any bit of it an off it goes.

That's a pretty cool idea. I have been saving little scraps from splitter, but it keep it in a huge cardboard box in my garage.

I do the same thing but without the covers or holes. They sit in the shed which gets hot, then every 5 days they come out and bask in the sun for 2 hrs as I am cutting the grass. Its only 1 barrel, but its for the wife to use if I'm away for a day or 2. Seems she can't understand normal lighting.

20141004_144425.jpg 20141004_144136.jpg Me too...only the mice make the holes in mine.

Good to hear that your plan worked well. I am now very curious how my red ceder stash worked out. Thanks for sharing

Attachments

• P8290164.JPG
    P8290164.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 101
Status
Not open for further replies.