King 632

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cincyguy72

Feb 4, 2021
Cincinnati
Hello, I have a King 632 wood stove that came with my house. I am considering whether to derust/reseal and place back in service or purchase a new stove.
It seems to be in fine condition aside from the rust, no deterioration of the metal. My question is in regards to sealing. I do not believe it ever had mortar or some kind of gasketing. The pieces fit together just by being tapered. For those that have done a project like this,
Should I seal with rope and the cement that comes with it?
For those that have done projects like this before what issues did you run into?
Thanks!

IMG_0664.jpg

Its a wood hog. Compared to a modern stove you may double your wood usage. It will burn wet crap and deposit the stuff it doesnt burn into the stack as creosote.

Reactions: Indianawood
Its a wood hog. Compared to a modern stove you may double your wood usage. It will burn wet crap and deposit the stuff it doesnt burn into the stack as creosote.
Thank you for the straightforward reply. A relative has a new wood stove, it does struggle burning wet wood, I didn't realize thats really a good thing.

Of course it struggles burning wet wood. Water does not burn. You should burn dry wood only (less than 18% moisture).
Thanks, I will do that. But, as noted above, it doesn't necessarily follow from water not burning, that a stove will struggle burning wet wood. I just never put it together that it's a good thing the new stoves force you to use dry wood to get the fires you want.

Reactions: Indianawood
Thanks, I will do that. But, as noted above, it doesn't necessarily follow from water not burning, that a stove will struggle burning wet wood. I just never put it together that it's a good thing the new stoves force you to use dry wood to get the fires you want.
May i suggest a Blaze King. You won't regret it.
Set the thermostat and forget about it. Heating my 5000sq ft house with a Blaze king king.
My geo thermal has come on twice this winter.

That looks identical to my first wood stove almost 50 years ago. I liked it but was inexperienced and didn’t know any better. With the straight through design, a door that doesn’t like to close tight and the front draw damper that never fits against the door well these old box stoves are hard to control and pretty easy to get the stovepipe glowing. I’m sure it wasted large amounts of wood as well. There are so many good and safer options today new and used.

First post and I’ve got to say I’m enjoying the breadth of knowledge available.

More info on heat loss due to wet wood.

I found one of these Wood Kings in my grandads shed, missing the piece that goes under the door. I cant find that name of that part anywhere does anyone have any info or know where I could find one?