king ashley pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

king ashley

Jan 10, 2015
Troy n.y.
Hi I;am Ken I have a king ashley 5500m ran good for 3 years now when i start it up the draft blower shuts off after about 30 min. It run at full speed to everything heat up then it goes in on off mode to what is supposed to do but now after 30 min. draft blower shuts right off. I notice that the motor gets very hot to touch by where the wires go in so i though the blower motor was going bad so i bought new motor and it does same thing.any idea if there is a sensor that could have gone bad,or do you think its the censor board. Thank You

This sounds odd to me as I don't think any of the sensors will shut down just the draft blower. Can you get a simple meter or test light to verify voltage to the wires on that motor when it goes off. I am guessing !! the motor is getting tired and a break in the windings is opening up with heat, it would be unusual behavior but ?? not sure what else. ignition coils on cars can do this. Really need to know if voltage is still being provided after that motor shuts off. If it has power to it, it needs replaced and if the board is pulling power away I am not sure and we need higher intellect than I on this one. I cannot imagine a scenario where the system would shut down the draft blower, but I am sleepy and your post deserves a bump so here goes.

I have a sister to that stove and I think my draft blower is either on full or off !!

This sounds odd to me as I don't think any of the sensors will shut down just the draft blower. Can you get a simple meter or test light to verify voltage to the wires on that motor when it goes off. I am guessing !! the motor is getting tired and a break in the windings is opening up with heat, it would be unusual behavior but ?? not sure what else. ignition coils on cars can do this. Really need to know if voltage is still being provided after that motor shuts off. If it has power to it, it needs replaced and if the board is pulling power away I am not sure and we need higher intellect than I on this one. I cannot imagine a scenario where the system would shut down the draft blower, but I am sleepy and your post deserves a bump so here goes.

I have a sister to that stove and I think my draft blower is either on full or off !!
Hi I;am Ken I have a king ashley 5500m ran good for 3 years now when i start it up the draft blower shuts off after about 30 min. It run at full speed to everything heat up then it goes in on off mode to what is supposed to do but now after 30 min. draft blower shuts right off. I notice that the motor gets very hot to touch by where the wires go in so i though the blower motor was going bad so i bought new motor and it does same thing.any idea if there is a sensor that could have gone bad,or do you think its the censor board. Thank You

I havent been able to check voltage let but I did notice that when I plug the unit in and don't turn anything on let that the motor turns very slow for 2 min. turn off for a min. then back on and keeps going in this cycle untill I unplug it

I was able to do a voltage test on draft blower,when first plug unit in it is 110 volts not running for about 10 seconds then drops to 53.5 volts and starts to run very slow until the motor heats up then it stops running volts go back up to 110 until motor cools off then turns back on and volts drop back to 53.5 and so on.and this is with out pushing any buttons just plugging it in. I got bad feeling you going to say it the circuit board.If you think it is do you know any one that works on them because there half the price off the stove new.Thank You

I am just not sure but I will tell you what is often recommended to find out. Get a cheap two wire extension cord and cut the female end off and crimp two female 1/4" spade terminals on it that are like the one's onto your motor and while everything is shut down and unplugged. Plug these two wire ends into your motor and test it to see if it is bogging and drawing the voltage down or if it is fine and the voltage supplied is dropping and bogging it down. This is ac current so there is no polarity to worry about but don't let that test cord lay around plugged in. This is a great simple test for all three motors on any stove that has all 120v ac motors. They should run up to full potential plugged into the wall and if not they are certainly a part or all of your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.