Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes smell from coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
I found a large stash of seasoned red oak that I didnt realize I had. After peeling away a face cord of mixed stuff, this next face cord and the next after that are mostly red oak.

I did a burn whereas 3 / 5 pieces were red oak. When I went to stir the coals I smelled what I can only suggest smells like Kingsford Charcoal briquettes. I found this interesting as Ive never experienced this before. The next load, next morning was the same thing. It had me tempted to bust our the weber smokey mountain and start cooking, but alas it's still too cold out.

Yea, they use oak wood to make charcoal brickets, check out dirty jobs Mike Roe, he did an episode on it, pretty neat stuff and very dirty

Yea, they use oak wood to make charcoal brickets, check out dirty jobs Mike Roe, he did an episode on it, pretty neat stuff and very dirty
Ah good info. I wasn't aware what they use. It's an amazing smell that I don't recall smelling when white oak is used.

Never too cold for a cookout...thats where the case of beer comes in!

Reactions: zak77
Never too cold for a cookout...thats where the case of beer comes in!
eh smoking a brisket gets a little challenging. I have to keep my temps to a certain level for many hours. Requiring multiple charcoal adds, which is a whole process in itself.

A regular cook out on the grill though I do often during the winter. Last winter my table was a large mound of snow that I set my beer in. I just kept packing down the top until eventually the snow was at chest level.

No we are outside wearing tshirts today.

I hear ya......today is supposed to be 72 here.....in Febuary, lol....saves on wood and oil.

I hear ya......today is supposed to be 72 here.....in Febuary, lol....saves on wood and oil.
Same here, Im probably not far from you. Also keeps the critters from trying to find a warm place to hide from the cold.
You know what is going to happen dont you? Im going to wash my car and then it's going to snow 24" on us

• Haha
Reactions: BillBurns
Status
Not open for further replies.