1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

knobbies on my furnace duct work??

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by WoodButcher80, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodButcher80

WoodButcher80 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Snowbelt of NE Ohio - Chardon
    hey guys.

attached is a picture of my furnace duct work. you can see the edge of my oil furnace to the right. well, youll notice 2 white knobs with coiled electrical wires attached to them. they turn one full rotation. if i turn them to the left all the way, they will click and shut off. if i tun them a millimeter clockwise the fan inside it controls will be on high, and then it fades when i go more clockwise to the fan being low. both round ducts have them .... why would i want them fast or slow? is this some type of damper to control how much air i want through each duct to different rooms ? thanks!!!

(CLICK ON PIC TO MAKE BIGGER)

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    I am guessing they are in line fans. The controls are similar to dimmers, as in they control the amount of current delivered to the fans.
    You adjust the fan speed to desired amount of cfm you want each fan to blow. Basically booster fans.
    They could also be dampers, but dampers do not have fans, so that pretty much rules that out.
  3. WoodButcher80

Loc:
    im sure theyre fans. . . guess i need to just figure out where they go now! thanks for the help.
  4. Hogwildz

Loc:
    Are they blowing from one plenum to another?
    Kinda strange set up.
  5. WoodButcher80

Loc:
    heres more pics i just took for you to figure it out :)

well i know theyre not exhaust ducts going into the concrete cus the chimney flue exhaust duct is in the last picture in the far far corner on right.

the pipes in the concrete are going towards my the floor of my family room, which is on a slab.

Attached Files:

6. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Booster fans. Someone thought that the ducts weren't passing enough hot air to the vents on that run so they kicked it up a notch with the fans. They may be wired to only come on when the furnace runs or they may be constantly on. If you shut them off then they will obstruct the duct slightly.
  7. Hogwildz

Loc:
    If the slab has registers in it, then thats exactly what those pipe runs are for.
    HB is right, the fans if off when the system is running, may cause some drag. Although they may also spin a lil from the pressure if great enough.
    But I am thinking that would be pressure wasted to getting it tot the registers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.