Kodiak Insert Stove pipe recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eightball1313

Sep 24, 2019
Poconos, Pa
First post here!

I have been heating my house with a kodiak insert the past few winters, however it is not set up like an insert, just like a tpyical wood stove and run stove pipe up into a 90 and then 1/4" rise per foot into the thimble. I have a 6" thimble going into my chimney (which has no cleanout door by the way) so ive been running 6" stove pipe the whole length, except for the 8" to 6" adapter right at the top of the stove as the top outlet for the stove is 8". My stove has two doors, and it seems like i never get enough draft to open both doors or ill have smoke pouring out of the stove, i can only load the stove with one door open.

First question, how does everyone clean their chimneys if they dont have a cleanout door? Ive just been brushing and shop vaccing everything out, but its a pain since you need to remove the stove pipe and stick your arm in there everytime and feel around and what not, open to suggestions!

Second question, i was thinking about running 8" stove pipe the whole way until right before the thimble and then adpapting to 6" and go into the thimble that way. I feel that if i run mostly 8" it will increase my draft enough so that i can open both doors on the stove to load and not have to worry about smoke pouring out of the stove, do you all think that will work? ive read the kodiak manual but couldnt really figure out and answer for that question so i wanted to ask you all!

The stove is designed to work with 8" stove pipe. One should not downsize the stove pipe. Usually the manual says this. What you are experiencing with smoke roll out is typical with insufficient draft and/or insufficient volume in the flue.

begreen,
I figured that was the problem, so im thinking if i run 8" pipe all the way to the thimble and then adapt to 6" so that i can fit the thimble it should help?
I mean it definitely shouldnt hurt at least...

begreen,
I figured that was the problem, so im thinking if i run 8" pipe all the way to the thimble and then adapt to 6" so that i can fit the thimble it should help?
I mean it definitely shouldnt hurt at least...
It won't change anything. The restriction will still be there.

As far as cleaning in your case you should be pulling the pipe and cleaning it every time as well so it doesn't matter much.

What floor is this stove sitting on?

It won't change anything. The restriction will still be there.

As far as cleaning in your case you should be pulling the pipe and cleaning it every time as well so it doesn't matter much.

What floor is this stove sitting on?

Ok i wasnt sure. Yeah i guess it is what it is then. And its in the basement so its really no big deal if i make a little mess because its not a finished basement, just still wish it had a cleanout door. When i rebuild the chimney ill build it the right way this time, idk who built it prior but its a pretty poor one in my opinion.

Thanks!

What is the 6" thimble tapped into? Is this a lined chimney? If so, what is the liner size?

What is the 6" thimble tapped into? Is this a lined chimney? If so, what is the liner size?
yeah its a terracota lined chimney, i cant remember off the top of my head but i want to say its at least an 8" chimney, ill have to measure it when i climb up to clean it this weekend. It really is a poor setup if you ask me.

It might be better to just replace the 6" thimble.

Sounds like a good idea to replace it. A marginal chimney with a wood stove can be a time bomb waiting to go off.

I imagine you like this stove/insert, but it's worth at least considering the option at this time of moving to a new stove. That would permit the use of a 6" chimney which will be less expensive if totally replacing the chimney system. Then there is higher efficiency of the new stove which mean a lot less wood consumed for the same amount of heat. If the wood is good and dry then this can be a nice improvement. Something to think about at least. The math may make sense. Sell the Kodiak for say $100, save a couple hundred on the chimney install, and save a lot on wood consumption. A new, decent, big stove with a 6" flue can be bought for around $1000.

Sounds like a good idea to replace it. A marginal chimney with a wood stove can be a time bomb waiting to go off.

I imagine you like this stove/insert, but it's worth at least considering the option at this time of moving to a new stove. That would permit the use of a 6" chimney which will be less expensive if totally replacing the chimney system. Then there is higher efficiency of the new stove which mean a lot less wood consumed for the same amount of heat. If the wood is good and dry then this can be a nice improvement. Something to think about at least. The math may make sense. Sell the Kodiak for say $100, save a couple hundred on the chimney install, and save a lot on wood consumption. A new, decent, big stove with a 6" flue can be bought for around $1000.
Yeah i know its hard to part ways with the old stoves, its my dads and i redid the whole thing and what not, but i know its not as efficient as these newer stoves. i think id be able to go the class a insulated pipe route pretty easily, after drilling the hole bigger for 8" pipe to go through the rest would be easy just follow the clearances that i need and what have you.