Kozi 100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ktowndave

Dec 18, 2022
I have an older Kozi 100 with an mx2 control.
I'm having problems with ash buildup mostly in the container below the burner and burner pot itself. For some reason, the burnt pellets are really sticking to the sides of the pot and the grates. I really have to scrape and chip to remove the burned on ash and as seen in the 2nd pic, the ash pretty much completely fills the pot and the left side of the unit.
I have to completely disassemble everything and majorly scrape the whole burner and empty a lot of ash usually every 6 days. I will include pics.
Also, do you have to use the heat shield above the burner? I'd like to get more efficient heat blowing through the heat tubes.

IMG_20221218_193326001.jpg IMG_20221218_193340907.jpg IMG_20221218_193405212.jpg IMG_20221218_193437611.jpg

, do you have to use the heat shield above the burner
The shield forces the exhaust to flow over the whole exchanger
helping to remove as much heat as possible before exiting the stove
In other words, it is a good idea to leave it in place.
The ash problem may be a lack of combustion air
Or have you changed pellet brands

Same pellets for the last couple years, my brother beside us uses same pellets. I keep everything as clean as possible, scrape, brush and vacuum every time and exhaust pipes every 3rd stove cleaning. The exhaust pipe goes straight up, about 4', 1 elbow straight out the wall then vent cover.

I did replace the motor and fan 2 years ago that sucks the air out the exhaust. I try to vacuum as well as possible by sticking shop vac hose through exhaust as far as I can.