Lakes Region Pellets: worth a try?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Started with 8 last Nov, burned 7. Will have 8 in the shed by end of Sept again.

I'm thinking that if there is enough glue and other material in this pallet pellet mix I would not want to burn it in my house and exhaust it into my yard.
Last year I burned a Michigan pellet that was suppose to be mostly whole log insect kill wood, this seems a greener option with all the insect kill in Mid west / west right now.

Wow! I haven't had this much fun since doctor coolbreeze babled on!

I burned the RockyMountain beetle kill pellets and loved them! I don't think the insect larva' made it thru the milling processes though. Just smelled like wood to me!

macman as a hogzilla, Now that's cool! Save some for us PLEASE.

I know of one other pellet maker using pallets for pellets. Link: I can't find it! I will keep digging for it!!!!! Here it is http://www.arborpellet.com/

He was selling them on ebay, But not saying he was making from recycled wood! http://cgi.ebay.com/Premium-Wood-Pe...in_0?hash=item4a9a2a8b9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I really don't want glue or oil in my wood pellets, Thank you.

I a wait my one liner! ;-P

jay

Les Biancat said:
jtakeman said:
Les Biancat said:
whats lignite i thinx

pook

Natural wood binder. The only pellet I know that add's this is Lignetics.

Google it and fill us in?
jay
u dont need an apostrophe on add when trying to say ADDS. add's is confusing in that it implies multiiple additions
ok pook!

Les Biancat said:
jtakeman said:
Les Biancat said:
whats lignite i thinx

pook

Natural wood binder. The only pellet I know that add's this is Lignetics.

Google it and fill us in?
jay
duh how do lignetix add the lignin? economic feasibility,source? i smell BS

'POOK Dude', I don't make them go ASK them! All I know is there a dam good pellet with lots of heat! Maybe that's why???? Don't like the smell much!

I think manowhoever is done with his one liners.

Just when it was getting to be fun. O'well. I got stuck with pook. That's fun anyway.

Manonfire said:
I think manowhoever is done with his one liners

manonfire

Sorry, I will be serious now.

Are they also using the fiber pallets? They look like OSB but formed to a pallet shape.

jay

I use the so called flavored chips as well. But there much more expensive. Tried using some left over pallets to make the heat and just a little thin layer of flavored chips on top. I like hickory the best!

:p

Les Biancat said:
hey , neighbor gave me bucket of chimni creosote which burnt fine but smelled bad in my pstove when i added via open door.its all hot. ...wonder if creo is chemically related to lignin :kiss:

Pyrolysis
Pyrolysis of lignin during the combustion of wood or charcoal production yields a range of products, of which the most characteristic ones are methoxy phenols. Of those, the most important are guaiacol and syringol and their derivatives; their presence can be used to trace a smoke source to a wood fire. In cooking, lignin in the form of hardwood is an important source of these two chemicals which impart the characteristic aroma and taste to smoked foods

Lignin or lignen is a complex chemical compound most commonly derived from wood, and an integral part of the secondary cell walls of plants[1] and some algae.[2] The term was introduced in 1819 by de Candolle and is derived from the Latin word lignum,[3] meaning wood. It is one of the most abundant organic polymers on Earth, exceeded only by cellulose, employing 30% of non-fossil organic carbon[4] and constituting from a quarter to a third of the dry mass of wood. As a biopolymer, lignin is unusual because of its heterogeneity and lack of a defined primary structure. Its most commonly noted function is the support through strengthening of wood (xylem cells) in trees

More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin

Its interesting anyway.

Attachments

• Lakes-Region-Pellets-small.jpg
    Lakes-Region-Pellets-small.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 376
Manonfire said:
I use the so called flavored chips as well. But there much more expensive...... just a little thin layer of flavored chips on top. I like hickory the best!

:p

I tried that, but my tongue got burned when I tried tasting the flavor off the exhaust flue. :gulp:

That reminds me of the time I tried to blow up my car and burned my mouth on the tail pipe :ahhh:

so has anyone tried these yet? if so how did they burn?

thanks, I missed that one in your review, they are in my local area and I wondered supporting them was smart. thanks for all the "work" you put into those reviews!

Too bad. I live about 15 miles from the plant and was hoping that they would get their act together. Would have liked to help the local economy.

From the distributer dated 4-08-10:

I wanted to touch base with you and give you some information in regards to the Lakes Region Pellets in Center Barnstead, NH. They are currently shutdown due to new ownership changes and they are looking to get back online within the next 4-6 weeks with a new product. They will be operating under a new name which is still TBA and also installing a larger drying system along with other minor changes. I currently do not have pricing but I will get back in touch when it becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.