lakewood elk w/air installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

btweeds94

Nov 1, 2020
Ontario Canada
So I'm very new to wood stoves, and I picked up what I believe is a early 1980's lakewood elk w/air double door stove for my shop. I'm not looking for a perfect professional installation, but I do want it to be safe of course. In the deal I got 2 sections of double wall 7" chimney stack brand new in the box. The only problem I see is the stove has a 8" flue (top). All I am doing is placing the stove in the middle of 1 bay of my shop and running a chimney straight up through the roof. It will be about 10 feet to the ceiling of single wall pipe and then the 6 feet of double wall pipe from there on out, and that should work nicely as per the code here. However, the stove is a 8" flue, so I'm wondering if I will be okay reducing the pipe size at the ceiling, or even at the stove itself and just running 7" pipe all the way.

I've done a lot of reading on this site and others and I have some confidence that I should be able to reduce the pipe size at the ceiling and it should work. It's not ideal I don't think, but since my chimney will just be straight up then it is the best case for the function of the stove to begin with, so maybe that will equal out?

Something else I was unsure of is the fresh air inlet on the back bottom of the stove, I know if it was installed in a house and inspected then that should be run outside, but since I'm just using it in the shop (that's really not air tight or insulated properly) I'm not really concerned about a little smoke here and there if that may be the issue. Can I just leave that port open to the air and it will not make a difference?

everyone on here seems very knowledgeable so I am looking forward to hearing some opinions if I may run into any problems with draft based on your experiences. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything important with the set up I am going with.

Can you post some pictures of the stove and installation location? I haven't heard of an elk model. Here's an old Lakewood stove thread that may be helpful.