Large Home Need Help (newbie)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DaFattKidd said:
Long Dog said:
I think im leaning more toward a non cat stove. That way i don't have to worry about every piece of wood being total dry. On the island it may be a bit hard sometimes to get fully seasoned wood. And not having to worry about clogging the cat will give me piece of mind. I have heard with the cat stove u can't put even damp wood in it.

That's the same reason I went non cat as well. Some guys love them, but in my situation a large non cat was the best fit

I seriously do not see a difference. Both perform equally poorly with wet wood.

In one you get poor performance, in the other you risk damaging an essential part of the stove. It they were equivalent, you would be worrying about damaging the burn tubes when burning green wood.

BeGreen said:
In one you get poor performance, in the other you risk damaging an essential part of the stove. It they were equivalent, you would be worrying about damaging the burn tubes when burning green wood.

This has always been my understanding of the issue as well.

DaFattKidd said:
BeGreen said:

This has always been my understanding of the issue as well.

I guess I've been lucky. Though, I have to wonder how wet wood needs to be to destroy a catalytic combustor.

Just to make sure no one is miss-understanding; I am not saying to buy a cat stove, just questioning the reason behind not buying one. Once you get into the 3+ cu ft firebox range the only reason a Cat stove really comes in handy is for the shoulder season, and even that has a work around. Or if you're crazy and run three stoves...

Likewise, I am not anti-cat stove at all. I almost replaced the F400 with an Encore cat. But the desire for simplicity and knowing that multiple persons would be running the stove, steered me toward the non-cat. I didn't want to come home to a smiling wife or son, proudly having run the stove with metallic ink newsprint or using damp wood.

BeGreen said:
Likewise, I am not anti-cat stove at all. I almost replaced the F400 with an Encore cat. But the desire for simplicity and knowing that multiple persons would be running the stove, steered me toward the non-cat. I didn't want to come home to a smiling wife or son, proudly having run the stove with metallic ink newsprint or using damp wood.

Speaking of next stove purchases, I think I might be the only person that will be running a steel stove, a cast iron stove, a soapstone stove, a non-cat stove, and cat stove at the same time if I purchase the Englander next off season.

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

Speaking of next stove purchases, I think I might be the only person that will be running a steel stove, a cast iron stove, a soapstone stove, a non-cat stove, and cat stove at the same time if I purchase the Englander next off season.

I honestly don't know how you do it.....By the end of the burning season I'm sick of stuffing wood into one wood stove let alone 3 of them. Just out of curiosity have you ever considered an outdoor boiler like a Tarm?

BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

LOL. I think you need to add a Sedore and an Elm into that mix for more variety.

certified106 said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

I honestly don't know how you do it.....By the end of the burning season I'm sick of stuffing wood into one wood stove let alone 3 of them. Just out of curiosity have you ever considered an outdoor boiler like a Tarm?

I did think of doing a wood burning furnace when my old furnace died 4 years ago, but at the time I lacked the knowledge to make that decision as I had just installed the Vigilant and had limited wood burning experience. But now that I put in the expense of installing three liners, I am at the point of no return.

In regards to operating three stoves; Yes, it sucked last year between January and February. This was our second year in a row of having an abnormally cold winter. If we had an average winter it wouldn't be that bad... in comparison. The Encore should help a lot as I am increasing my burn times over by 4+ hours when compared to the Intrepid. And it should put out a lot more heat.

With three stoves in use burn times become very important which is why I will probably have three over-sized cat stoves in the house in the future.

BeGreen said:
BrowningBAR said:
BeGreen said:

LOL. I think you need to add a Sedore and an Elm into that mix for more variety.

And a soapstone masonry heater!

As it is, if I get the 30 I will have 190,000 claimed BTUs in 2,150 sq ft of living space. Draftiness aside, never buy a home with a long L-shaped floor plan...

If I had to do it over again, and knowing more about cats due to this site, I would consider one. I do not believe there are any that have the tight clearance my Endeavor provides me though. My father uses cabin at times as well so re-training a 50 year smoke dragon burner on a cat may have been more involved than what I have already had to do with him on the Lopi.

EDIT: The concept of "What is dry wood?" has been difficult enough.

So far im really leaning toward the Buck 94nc. Talking to a dealer the guy asked me if i get free wood lol. Because the size i guess. Pricing it out so does anyone have any suggestions where i can get the best price?

There is a place in Deer Park that has a big showroom and deals with alot of different brands, had the most choices I found on the Island. Nice to see them rather than just internet and brochures.

The majority of places I went to were dealers for no more 2-3 brands tops. If interested PM me for exact name if you can't find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.