Large oak round - - - - >Table?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KD0AXS

Burning Hunk
Feb 2, 2014
Nowthen, MN
We just got a bunch of free oak and we saved this big round because the wife wants to make a table. It's 34" diameter at the widest point, and right now it's 24" thick. Anyone here ever do anything like this before? I have zero experience making trees into anything useful other than firewood.

Obviously it needs to be cut down, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it other than maybe find someone with a really big band saw.

qety5ujy.jpg

Nice. I have not done this. I do recall though there is something you can soak it in (?) to prevent a lot of checking (radial splitting).

A friend used to soak his wood in antifreeze - don't know why it works, just saying;)

**Caution - antifreeze toxic to humans and pets.** May want to use dust protection when cutting/sanding after treatment.

"I had two 2" thick slabs of a 14" diameter hickory tree that had just been cut. I treated one with antifreeze and left one untreated. I was looking at wood stabilization, not rot prevention. After about six months stored inside my shop the untreated control was not only cracked apart, but it was sporting a great fungal growth, while the treated slab was clean."
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/rot.html

Apparently keeps rot at bay for short periods too:)

The tough part is gonna be keeping it from cracking as it dries. I have no solution for you as I have not been able to do it for myself.

Just thought I would post an update on this for anyone who might be interested. We found a local place that makes chainsaw carvings, furniture, and all kinds of other stuff out of wood. We brought them the large round and some smaller ones for the legs, and they did all the work for $125. They had to use the smaller end because the larger end wouldn't fit in their sawmill.

Here's the finished product, it turned out very nice.

e3enanyg.jpg

This is the place that did the work.

http://www.isawitinmn.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.