Last frost date; anyone thinking of planting early this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of planting some cucs this year. I don't have time to tend to an actual garden, but a couple pots I think I can handle. I love fresh from the garden cucumbers. Don't know why they are SO much better than the store bought ones, but they don't even compare.
Cukes will shrivel up pretty quickly without refrigeration, the ones on the supermarket are bred for keeping, not taste. Then they coat them with a waxy oil to help them resist shriveling.
I love homegrown cucumbers, but I have to lay off of them this year as well as other cucurbits thanks to an invasion of sqashbugs and cucumber beetles last year. In the case of the squash bugs, the ground was literally moving with them. Don't even get me started with the stinkbugs...:mad:

When I had a garden a few years ago I had the fridge stuffed with cukes (I had like 10 plants and just me eating them!) and they seemed to last 2-3 weeks without getting weird. I was GIVING them away by the sack full to whoever would take them!

Cukes will shrivel up pretty quickly without refrigeration, the ones on the supermarket are bred for keeping, not taste. Then they coat them with a waxy oil to help them resist shriveling.
I love homegrown cucumbers, but I have to lay off of them this year as well as other cucurbits thanks to an invasion of sqashbugs and cucumber beetles last year. In the case of the squash bugs, the ground was literally moving with them. Don't even get me started with the stinkbugs...:mad:

When I had a garden a few years ago I had the fridge stuffed with cukes (I had like 10 plants and just me eating them!) and they seemed to last 2-3 weeks without getting weird. I was GIVING them away by the sack full to whoever would take them!
Thank goodness for refrigeration, or I would never have enough to can or pickle at one time!

Status
Not open for further replies.