Last of the log load, part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Pic one, you may be able to discern a complete lack of logs. Good job, 'cause there aren't any left!!
Pic two, this is where the last 6.5 (or so) cord went. It's the lighter stuff.
Pic three, leftover Poplar from cutting my sleepers. Again, the lighter stuff. Some of the splits are REALLY small (to be used as kindling next year).

Attachments

• IMG_5117resize.jpg
    IMG_5117resize.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 873
  • IMG_5120resize.jpg
    IMG_5120resize.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 918
  • PoplarNov'11.jpg
    PoplarNov'11.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 880
That's a lot of wood, what a beautiful straight and neat row! I am envious of all that space you have. Great job!

PapaDave said:
Pic one, you may be able to discern a complete lack of logs. Good job, 'cause there aren't any left!!
Pic two, this is where the last 6.5 (or so) cord went. It's the lighter stuff.
Pic three, leftover Poplar from cutting my sleepers. Again, the lighter stuff. Some of the splits are REALLY small (to be used as kindling next year).

Looks great PapaDave, love all the flat open area you have. :coolsmile: Oh by the way your stacks look awesome.

zap

Green grass still???
Think it will snow before you need to mow again?
I don't think I could stack wood that straight even if I used a chalk line :)
You , Backwood & Zap set the standards for a perfect job of stacking!
Now that the wood is done, I guess you can hibernate until spring.
Looks great
Good job!

Nice job! 5 bucks says that stack will all over somewhere in the run heheheehelololll. Joking but when they dry down its amazing how much movement occurs.

Dave, you just keep getting better and better with your wood stacks. That was a lot of work so now it can start snowing on you anytime.

Hey, I know just how you feel.
I finally finished cleanup and top covering the second tri-axle load I processed this summer and fall.
Memo to me: one load a year is enough!

velvetfoot said:
One load will last me 2 or 3 years but I try to get a load every 2 years to stay ahead. In 2008 I fell behind and processed another load in 2009 to get ahead again. I should have got another load at the start of this year but procrastinated.

Nice looking stacks but it bothers me to see wood with the bark side down.

Again, great looking stacks PapaDave. I just want to walk up/down those rows and run my fingers along the face of those stacks. I bet they are as smooth as a glass table... ;-)

bogydave said:
Green grass still???
Think it will snow before you need to mow again?
I don't think I could stack wood that straight even if I used a chalk line :)
You , Backwood & Zap set the standards for a perfect job of stacking!
Now that the wood is done, I guess you can hibernate until spring.
Looks great
Good job!
Hibernate? What's that? :coolsmile:
I've already torn into the bathroom. The toilet's been leaking for a while (didn't notice right away), and the floor needs to come up.
Old linoleum, luan underlayment, old tiles, then finally subfloor. Looks like it's just around the toilet that'll have to get cut out and replaced.
New vinyl going down soon, hopefully before TG. After that, who knows.......something ALWAYS comes up.
Oh yeah, the grass is still mostly green. We've had a couple of snows, but it's still a bit too warm to stick around. Gettin' down to 18 or so tonite.
Nothing for you, I'm sure. :coolsmile:

wkpoor said:
Nice job! 5 bucks says that stack will all over somewhere in the run heheheehelololll. Joking but when they dry down its amazing how much movement occurs.
First year I did this (summer '08), they were 6' high and the lean was pretty impressive by the following spring. I started stacking with a slight lean to the north, and lowered the height to 5'. They like to sag right about the middle of each 16' section.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, you just keep getting better and better with your wood stacks. That was a lot of work so now it can start snowing on you anytime.
Thank you, master Dennis. :cheese: Still have an 8' section of W. Pine to buck and split, with a Spruce and Maple to c/s/s. Also have another Spruce in the yard to come down after the top broke and fell into the garden fence back in Feb. (I remember you saying to get 'em down BEFORE they do that :lol: ).

velvetfoot said:
Hey, I know just how you feel.
I finally finished cleanup and top covering the second tri-axle load I processed this summer and fall.

I'm slower than that. This load (20 cord) got dropped in May of '09. I made it my mission to finish it this year. :lol: The logs were JUST starting to go a little punky.

LLigetfa said:
velvetfoot said:
One load will last me 2 or 3 years but I try to get a load every 2 years to stay ahead. In 2008 I fell behind and processed another load in 2009 to get ahead again. I should have got another load at the start of this year but procrastinated.

Nice looking stacks but it bothers me to see wood with the bark side down.

I keep thinking I should flip 'em, but doesn't seem to matter 2 years or more down the road.

Blue2ndaries said:
Again, great looking stacks PapaDave. I just want to walk up/down those rows and run my fingers along the face of those stacks. I bet they are as smooth as a glass table... ;-)
Sure, come on down, or up, heII I don't know. Prepare for slivers......most is oak. Ask me how I know. :ahhh:

PapaDave said:
I'm slower than that. This load (20 cord) got dropped in May of '09. I made it my mission to finish it this year. :lol:
Now I don't feel so bad. The last 12 cord load I got in Feb. of '09 I had all split and stacked outdoors by the end of May of '09 and was feeling guilty that I hadn't moved it to the shed until today. BTW, even inside the shed, it was bark side up. If you look at my avatar, you can see that even for the short trip to the shed, it travels bark side up. Force of habit, I guess.

This last load, I had a notion I could get it all stacked in my existing area, and went up as high as I could reach (at three wide).
It's quite weird walking in between the stacks. We'll see if it tips over.
BTW, I still had to start another row.

Dave it looks like a warm Thanksgiving this year and even into the weekend. So, you can wait a bit longer for some snow. But every time this happens I keep thinking of the old saw, Snow for Thanksgiving, Mud for Christmas. That is not good. Better to have the ground frozen by then rather than mud. We'll wait to see what December brings us.

It was supposed to get down to 18 last night, but only hit about 24. I loaded the stove pretty good thinking it's a good time to get the burning pattern tuned in, but didn't really need to.
Ground is starting to freeze just a little, but Thanksgiving day should be mid 40's.
I don't have a mud plow. :lol:

I bet all the farmers had time to get the fields ready for spring.
I hear lots are plowing in drain pipes to dry the soil faster in the spring. (help prevent the muddy fields)
A good covering of snow now would be a good thing.
Don't be so sad that winter is late, she'll get there soon enough :)

Reactions: swagler85
Is your stack disappearing as it approaches the horizon or did you stack short on the far end?

That's what happens when you stack wood so perfectly straight & even.
It looks like less when your 1/4 mile from one end to the other.
I bet it can bee seen from space, Great wall of PapaDave ;)

Reactions: Realstone
Dave, it's funny you mention that. I was on one of the map sites that have sat pics. I put in my address and as usual there was my road, house, and in the back field when I zoomed.........wood stacks!
You can't really tell what they are from the sat pic, but...... I know. :coolsmile:
Obviously, the pics are recent because the last time I checked, they weren't in the pic and I started stacking back there in '08.

Status
Not open for further replies.