Last stove purchase in 2003, changes since then ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, first post, be gentle. :)

Heated with wood most of my life, most recently in our last house (Oxford, CT.) where we bought a Jotul F600 Firelight in 2003 and installed it in an existing hearth pad. House was 1800sf and the stove did an excellent job. My only issues were the air control lever grew sticky over the years...mostly when the stove was hot. When it was cold it would slide back & forth easily. I'm guessing something had warped a bit. Last winter I noticed some type of air leak somewhere on the left top front side. The stove would whistle from the air leak when I had it going but banked down. Our burn times went down quite a bit as well. I mentioned this to our chimney sweep when he cleaned the chimney for us prior to the sale of our house. He thought that was likely some type of crack and not an easy or cheap fix
The house we moved to is 2100sf, 4br, 2.5ba, two stories (no cathedral ceilings). It has a hearthpad and 6" thimble centrally located. There is currently an old TempCoal stove there which I am using because the previous owner guaranteed once I tried coal I'd never go back to wood. So far not impressed but also learning/realizing that burning coal is quite different from burning wood. That said we are now planning to replace the coal stove with a wood one over next Summer. I will begin putting up wood after the Christmas holidays.
I had assumed that I would likely just get another Jotul Firelight but I want to see what's changed & get some recommendations if possible. I believe I paid around $1500 for my Firelight (matte black) back in 2003. I love soapstone but think it's a bit overpriced. I prefer non-catalytic& cast iron. Because of where the stove is going in the room I can't do a right side door. I need front, top, or left side loading. Thanks !

Welcome Joe.

The biggest change since 2003 is price. Ten years later the F600 will be about $1000 more. (who says there's no inflation?) There are lots of good choices in the market. What makes a good fit will depend on what one has for priorities in the stove. You can heat the place with a decent $1000 stove or move on up to a $3500 soapstone. Both with get the job done. Personally in a large stove I like a squarish firebox for easy and flexible loading. Since 2003 there are new Jotuls (F50 & F55), Enviro Boston and Pacific Energy Alderlea T6 stoves that have a steel stove wrapped with an attractive classic, castiron jacket that are excellent heaters and should be considered. In all castiron I would consider the F600, Quadrafire Isle Royale and the Hearthstone Manchester.

To contact a member click on their id under their avitar and in the box that pops up click on "start a conversation".

Status
Not open for further replies.