Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
With the baffle out and stove completely apart, I took a trip to the local mason's yard and picked up two pieces of 1/4" split firebrick. I needed a top right corner brick above my baffle as it was cracked in half. I pulled out the ol' grinder and cut it to size. Before putting the stove together, it was time to give a final sweep. Soot Eater time. Took 5 min on the roof and then buttoned her up. She's ready to roll.
Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics) Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)

That's nice and clean. I think you are supposed to trim the sooteater whips to just a bit larger than the pipe diameter.

Cool. I am cleaning mine out with a sooteater for the first time this weekend. For a 6" round pipe the whips look like short stubs in comparison. More like in this pic by Lakeside:

Attachments

• Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)
    clean_st-1.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Reactions: Lakeside
Just finished up the stove cleaning, took a quick look at the plumbing vent pipes and that blew the rest of the morning until a bit ago. One stack plugged solid, took quite a bit to clear it out. It has an offset in it which I'm guessin is why it plugged. Been have trouble with that section drain for the last year, kinda explains it partly, Likely it still could stand a visit from a roto rooter service. Never thought about a top down problem just figured 50 year old kitchen drain was explanation enough.

Cool. I am cleaning mine out with a sooteater for the first time this weekend. For a 6" round pipe the whips look like short stubs in comparison. More like in this pic by Lakeside:

That's what mine looks like. I need to try that bleach bottle trick. I've been using 6mil and duct tape and its a mess.

Wow that's all the buildup you had for a year of burning? It was my first year, but still I had a lot more when I did my sweep. The plastic Sooteater works well? I have the conventional wire brush on fiberglass poles. It worked ok, are there a lot of advantages?
Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)Last Sweep Before Burn Time (Pics)

Flex liners tend to collect a bit more than the smooth pipe sections. Yours looks about what mine does after a whole season ( basement unit up the masonry chimney) My up stairs stove has very little( maybe 2 cups), but that's on Selkirk pipe and is smooth inside.

We are getting ready here too. I am having my stove installer come out and do an inspect/sweep for insurance purposes (need the receipt) this Friday. Then we should be ready to rock and roll.

We are getting ready here too. I am having my stove installer come out and do an inspect/sweep for insurance purposes (need the receipt) this Friday. Then we should be ready to rock and roll.

My insurance company told me I could do it my self as long as I kept pictures of the process each time I did it. Don't worry I made sure to get that in writing.

No, I swept it right after the season ended without removing the baffle. I wanted to totally clean the stove and inspect it before this burning season.

Status
Not open for further replies.