Last years wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziprich

Sep 19, 2011
Western Md (Hagerstown)
Hey guys and gals. I'm trying to make some room outside for more wood. My plan is to move last years wood in my basement. Its a regular concrete floor and block wall basement. I would stack the wood on pallets. I also run a dehumidifier all the time. Would my wood hold a good moister level while in the basement all summer? Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Hi Ziprich,
I store my winter's wood in the basement. Concrete floors and walls. 12 cord. But it is seasoned and dry when I put it in. (And not on pallets, but I do have in-floor heating....) I've been caught late in the fall putting in damp wood from a rain, and I did put a dehumidifier in the room for a few weeks to take out the extra moisture.
I'd say go ahead.
I'm 2 years ahead with my wood now, so the wood for this year is ready to be put in any time. I will probably start putting in a cord at a time after a few days of dry weather.
Is your basement normally dry? Is that why you're thinking of pallets?
Happy burning.

I would say you shouldn't do that. Even though the wood looks bug free, I can guarantee you that there are borers amid a host of other bugs you don't see in that wood. I only bring a weeks worth of firewood into our basement at any given time, for that very reason. Just my. 02 cents.

It will probably not hurt your fuel supply....but, I am also not a fan of storing wood for any length of time inside my home. I will gar-own-tee you still got creepy crawlys in that wood.

Reactions: ScotO
I think with a dehumidifier running the wood will be at a good moisture content in the fall when you are ready to burn. My concern would be bugs in the house, not the wood gaining moisture. I'd move in only the clean, dry splits and leave buggy-looking ones outside.

well i didnt think about the bugs. my wife would actually kill me if i bring bugs in the house. she barely lets me and the dogs in now!

If you are looking to increase storage, maybe you should review the holzhausen. Typically they can be stacked higher to allow for more wood per stack.

Bark-less wood might be pretty clean but still may have ants in cracked pieces. Lotsa bugs are under the bark, though.
my wife would actually kill me if i bring bugs in the house. she barely lets me and the dogs in now!
In that case, I'd leave the wood outside. It may be tough sleeping with your dogs in the cedar-chip bed on the floor but at least you are still inside now... ;)

Heat and air circulation are best for drying wood. Both are scarce in my basement.

I have to agree with those who mention the bugs in the wood - there's sure to be some regardless of how it looks. I see some just bringing my wood into the basement for a week during the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.