Late Night Thanks to Eco Blocks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pastera

Feeling the Heat
Sep 8, 2008
SE Mass
Normally drop four ECO blocks in the stove for an overnight - put six in last night to keep it burning a little longer (not getting up at 5 for work)
Everything went like normal - blue flames on top with a small flame at the doghouse with the damper closed. Went to bed and got up to check after about 30 minutes.

Lot of bad things happening - the extra two blocks sat up too close to the secondaries, sending the stove into runaway.
As the damper was already closed the only way to slow it down was to soak a newspaper down and stuff it in - opening a stove in thermal runaway is not a thing I really wanted to do, but the trick worked after about 30 minutes the temps were back to normal.

Be careful how close you pack the load to the secondaries - if it starts running away you can't slow it down (no control over the secondary intakes. Also, keep a Sunday paper nearby if you do have an issue.

I am definitely thankful that I didn't have to unload the stove - that would not have been good...

Aaron Pasteris said:
Normally drop four ECO blocks in the stove for an overnight - put six in last night to keep it burning a little longer (not getting up at 5 for work)
Everything went like normal - blue flames on top with a small flame at the doghouse with the damper closed. Went to bed and got up to check after about 30 minutes.

Lot of bad things happening - the extra two blocks sat up too close to the secondaries, sending the stove into runaway.
As the damper was already closed the only way to slow it down was to soak a newspaper down and stuff it in - opening a stove in thermal runaway is not a thing I really wanted to do, but the trick worked after about 30 minutes the temps were back to normal.

Be careful how close you pack the load to the secondaries - if it starts running away you can't slow it down (no control over the secondary intakes. Also, keep a Sunday paper nearby if you do have an issue.

I am definitely thankful that I didn't have to unload the stove - that would not have been good...

What were the stove temps?

It's been posted here before that if you just open the door it'll turn into more of a fireplace type burn and the temps will come down due to all the cold room air being sucked into the stove and lack of secondary burn. Never tried it but it sounds like it would work to me.

Wet newspaper. :lol: A long gone member would be cackling in delight. In fact he is probably lurking, cackling in delight. He always went on about keeping a soaked newspaper in a plastic bag by the stove.

glass temp was off the scale on my HF Ir gun - normally 750

Reading into the air vents was 650 - normally 430-450
Door just above the glass 450 - normally 350

Tried opening the door - maybe I didn't wait long enough but it didn't seem to be working

The wet newspaper idea came from here and I am glad a it worked well.

On the bright side, my glass is clean!

650* in the vent (essentially the stove top) does not sound bad at allocated. The door being 450* isnt bad either. I placed a magnetic thermo on my door for a couple days. Seemed it was only off stove top by 100*-150*.

I have seen 850* on the 30 a few weeks back (1000* on flue probe). Forgot about the air setting. Was not finished cutting it back and the Wife called me upstairs. 15 minutes later (stained my pants) I came running downstairs. Opened door and within a couple minutes it was under control. Pine takes off fast.....

Sounds like a normal running stove to me. My stove top T Stat goes to 800 and I have pegged that out before.

Have been experimenting further with the ECO-blocks

I have found that by placing them differently in the firebox I can retain control to the point of being able to smother the fire - something I could not do before.

By placing one block on either side of the box N-S with two blocks E-W against the back wall with the coals raked into a pile in front of the air inlet.

Complete control without over firing (I may not have been technically over firing but when the draft is fully closed and the front secondary tube is glowing cherry for over half it's length I get very nervous)

Loaded this way I get heat for about 6 hours and enough coals to get the fore going in the morning - a feat for a 1.4 CF insert like mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.