Latest scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
This was a bit of a shot in the dark. I saw an old ad offering a free cord of wood. No surprise, most of it was gone. But they still had some smaller stuff left over. I went over there and there was a pretty decent amount of wood. The husband even helped me load the Jeep up.

While it's not a ton of wood or a bunch of big rounds, this smaller stuff should fit the bill nicely. I'm going to need a good amount of kindling, so cutting up some of those smaller bits should take care of that. I should be able to get some med/small splits out of those rounds.

My wife looked at the entire scrounge pile (this score, plus the evil pine scrounge) and said: "I think we've got enough free wood for now...." Is there really such thing as "enough"? ;-)

Attachments

• IMG00123 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00123 (Medium).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG00124 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00124 (Medium).jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 295
Most folks who are new at wood burning have no conception of how much wood it takes for a year, or better, for 2 years of wood. It appears to me that they think in terms of the size of a propane tank. After all, a couple tanks of gas will get them through the winter so why not that amount of wood?

It'll be interesting to see how much we use this year. I'm confident we have enough...but it's so hard to say no to free wood that's easy to grab.

Skier76 said:
but it's so hard to say no to free wood that's easy to grab.

so hard meaning you know what its like to say no? say it isnt so.

Backwoods Savage said:
Most folks who are new at wood burning have no conception of how much wood it takes for a year, or better, for 2 years of wood. It appears to me that they think in terms of the size of a propane tank. After all, a couple tanks of gas will get them through the winter so why not that amount of wood?

This is true! When I was cutting I'd cut a trailer load which is about 1.5 cords give or take a little. People always comment about how much wood it is and "it'll keep you warm for years" or "how many years will that last you" I would always say "months?" :)

SolarAndWood said:
Skier76 said:
but it's so hard to say no to free wood that's easy to grab.

so hard meaning you know what its like to say no? say it isnt so.

Well, not yet per say. I've yet to have anyone offer me free firewood. Up to this point, I've been seeking it out. :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.