Leaf Blower clean out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

woodnomore

Oct 3, 2019
Central MN
I have read about it here and plan on doing it. How have you modified the blower intake to mate up to the stove discharge? I bought a big funnel and used duct tape to attach it and a saws all to cut the funnel so it just fits inside the 3" discharge.

Post a pic of your set up

I will but I am in a time of transition going with two laptops and I have to change over all passwords on the phone to e-mail etc. What a pain.

I just stick mine under the bottom of the transition Tee (suck side) and plug it in (from a distance) and let it rip. I stay out of the exhaust from the blower because it gets nasty. When it clears up, I like to tap the outside of the venting going vertical to dislodge any loose clumps too (while it's sucking away... ==c

I'll also take my shop vac (while the leaf blower is sucking outside) and put the vac hose on the blow side of the vac and stick it in the firebox end of the combustion blower and blow through it to 'move along' any ash buildup in the horizontal vent that exits the appliance and goes through the wall thimble. The cleaner the path, the better the flow and the less resistance the combustion blower has to evacuate combustion gases and fly ash.

On mine (a Black and Decker) I used a plumbing pipe reducer, 6" to 4" (I think, its at home and I'm not). What ever it was, it fits over the end of the pipe tightly so I have a good seal, turn it on and watch the neighbors look at me funny.

Eric

I don't have any neighbors.... _g

This is what i use. Rubber coupler and pvc reducer. Easy peasey. About $8 at lowes if i remember correctly
20191221_124052.jpg

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Dont be real worried about an air tight seal. Mine isnt and sucks out everything. Blows the ash 15' away. I did have to do some fancy dremel work to make my pvc adapter clup into the suction housing but the leaf blower was dads and cost nothing so 15 min with the dremel was worth it.

No matter how you do it, it's gonna be messy to a certain extent. Just one of the drawback's of solid fuel heat I guess.

I use the Leaf Blower on the Inside (Harmon XXV), bottom of the firebox. For the Chimney (8") I just use Rods and Brush. Do it in the spring and put in metal cloth blocking off the pipe so Little Birdy's don't come into the stove (has happened few times). Open up the cleanout on the bottom of the chimney so they just fall thru.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
I use the Leaf Blower on the Inside (Harmon XXV), bottom of the firebox. For the Chimney (8") I just use Rods and Brush. Do it in the spring and put in metal cloth blocking off the pipe so Little Birdy's don't come into the stove (has happened few times). Open up the cleanout on the bottom of the chimney so they just fall thru.

Smoked squab... Quite a dish.... My upper end has a cap on it so the birdy's would have to be pretty tiny to get in...

Mine Too. The find a way thru the very small slits. Stupid Sparrows. Screen stops them from coming inside. Opening up bottom cleanout allows them to fall thru and fly away. Amazing how many thing that is Good Place to build nest.

Never had that issue in 20 years. Must be our birds are fatter...lol

Dont be real worried about an air tight seal. Mine isnt and sucks out everything. Blows the ash 15' away. I did have to do some fancy dremel work to make my pvc adapter clup into the suction housing but the leaf blower was dads and cost nothing so 15 min with the dremel was worth it.
LOL I think my neighbor would be a wee bit pissed if I used this. I am sure it would get all over their house.