leaking glass seal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red450

Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2009
Indiana
I had the glass and gaskets replaced on our stove at the end of Oct. (Bought the stove used, needed new glass and gaskets)

Today, I noticed the gasket has come free where the two ends meet. There is a gap about 1.5" long which is causing an air leak.
Can I tack that back down with gasket sealant or should I replace the whole gasket?

Temporarily you can cool stove down and clean the spot then put some gasket glue on and press gasket against door leave door closed for a period of time so the gasket glue can set. Read the glue instructions. This will probably be a temp set up.
I do not know your stove but you should get a new gasket. Sounds like it was to short to start with. Usually glass gaskets are held in place by slight pressure of glass against door. My glass gasket comes with sticky back to hold it in place until you get the glass in position once the glass is reconnected the gasket can not fall off glue or no glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.