LED Lighting for Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thechumpen

Apr 6, 2009
UK
Hi all

I have just had a stove fitted in a chimney recess, similar to that in the picture linked at the bottom.

I would like to add some feature lighting to it and am thinking some downlighting might be nice. I don't really want to wire anything in so was thinking maybe some battery powered LEDs stuck to the fireboard above the stove.

Now, my logic tells me this is a stupid idea because of the heat but before I rule it out I'd like to ask if anyone knows of a solution I can use or has done something similar. Who knows, maybe there are heatproof LED lights out there somewhere?

Cheers

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stove/img/stratford-boiler-stove.jpg

Greetings. Your concern about heat accumulating at the top of the alcove is practical. This installation makes me nervous, but then again it might just be a Photoshop installation or everything behind the walls is non-combustible. One alternative to down lighting might be to use uplighting from the floor of the hearth where it could be much cooler. There could be a mirror or shiny surface placed a top and hidden by the fireboard that would reflect light downward. That would of course depend on the stove temperature of the hearth.

Has your stove been installed yet? If yes, do you have pictures?

PS: for more information on Stratford Boiler Stoves go to: http://www.stratfordboilerstoves.co.uk/

Hello there, thanks for the reply.

Yes, the stove has been fitted but I don't have any pics to upload. It is sitting within a chimney breast in the same way as the sample pic I posted but it has more room around it. A good 6" at the back and probably around 10" either side.

The flue then goes up and through some fireboard about 15" above the fire. The fireboard sites out of site up the chimney a bit so this is where I was hoping to hide the lights. Will see what the heat is like next time it is lit. Otherwise will just have some there as a summer time thing when the fire will not be lit.

The walls around it are brick with mortar over and painted.

You would almost have to check the temperature in the spot you wish to locate them to tell for sure. LED's which can operate up to 85ºC are pretty common, ones which range from 100-150ºC can be found, but it will probably be a chore to find anything much beyond that.

You can poke around here to see some common operating temps and what is available at the higher temps.

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=500003+1001748&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=led&Ntx;=

The flames provide enough accent lighting i need ;)

also you don't want to light up all the fine dust that ends up on your stove created by burning

Hi,

I'm also looking to illuminate my stove in the same was as you, firestarter, did you manage to do it?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.