Lennox please reintroduce the Earthstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theruss

Dec 16, 2007
Bemidji, MN
An earlier post wrote disparaging comments about Earthstoves. I recently switched to QuadraFire and wish I had my Earthstove back. Does anyone else share my sentiments?

The QuadraFire's output capacity was overestimated. The vents plug daily. It has limited room/height when reloading. Ash removal needs to be done several times a day to create space. The folks at Hearth and Home were totally unresponsive.

My Earthstove was rated at 62% of the QuadraFire's capacity. It could easily keep up with it. Plus, it once gave me a 36 hour burn. I pulled it because the dampener got sloppy and it started to leak/backdraft. I thought that after 25 years it was probably time for a new stove. The guy that bought it is smiling.

I love mine, which I purchased used last year for cheap.

even my local dealer misses them, and says that lennox got over on them pretty good for replacement parts cost, they said stuff got ridiculously expensive, really fast when lennox bought them out.

Gary Russell said:
An earlier post wrote disparaging comments about Earthstoves. I recently switched to QuadraFire and wish I had my Earthstove back. Does anyone else share my sentiments?

The QuadraFire's output capacity was overestimated. The vents plug daily. It has limited room/height when reloading. Ash removal needs to be done several times a day to create space. The folks at Hearth and Home were totally unresponsive.

My Earthstove was rated at 62% of the QuadraFire's capacity. It could easily keep up with it. Plus, it once gave me a 36 hour burn. I pulled it because the dampener got sloppy and it started to leak/backdraft. I thought that after 25 years it was probably time for a new stove. The guy that bought it is smiling.

Do they still make them? Or did Lennox buy them and discontinue?

Glad to hear from a kindred spirit. Earthstoves has secondary combustion in the early 70's. One thing that impressed me after comparing my smallish Earthstove with the QuadraFire is not every firebox is created equal. The cubit foot figure is deceiving. A person needs height perhaps more than length or width. A three or four inch bed of coals take up most of my QuadraFire box. When you reload, you almost have to pull live coals out of the firebox and into a bucket to heat the outdoors. No stacking is allowed. This limit is really tough when loading for a Minnesota overnight.

Lennox basically shut down the whole line of free standing woodstove. I suspected at the time they were emphasizing their other heating systems that were burning non renewable fuels. This may be more a reflection of my conspiratorial tendencies!

I believe Lennox owns "Country" stoves, which is a company based in Auburn WA. I own a Country Striker 160, but I believe mine to be pre-lennox buy out. Still, around here the brand has an excellent reputation and I don't think Lennox did much of anything besides buy them out.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.