Lets talk about pine...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
Well, I got a score today....pics can follow, but, the outer wood looked like cherry so I was very excited, I started my new splitter put my brand new find that I was hoping was cherry and all of a sudden, I smell pine , I use pinesol at work to clean the floors, it smells really great, so as I'm splitting for my very first time in my life on this awesome huskee 22, I start getting sad that I am splitting pine, so then i decide to put it in my fire pit and low and behold this freshly cut wood fires up like crazy..... I now have a great outdoor firewood recipe, pine and cedar, what a combination....yum.....anyways...what are your thoughts on pine and how do you use it? Thanks all...

congratulations on your pine score...

Dang, and here we are out of popcorn...

Reactions: MasterMech
I burn pine for shoulder season, first load, and the everything in between. Its awesome.

I think the bad rap pine gets is because it does burn so well. You can get a load delivered in Sept and its good to go, steam the heck right out of your chimney.

Seasoned pine is good wood for burning. It just takes more of it, so 2x the loading2x the stacking, 2x the cleanup etc.

Pop some Brother.....

I love it. When you need to heat the stove up fast, there is nothing better than pine. Pound for pound it has the same btu as any other wood, but other wood splits weigh a lot more. The guys way up north and out west exclusively burn pine.

One thing I will say about the huskee 22 is, the one hydraulic line running from the pump through the axle, there is a grommet around where the hose goes through the axle that will wear out with the hose moving on its own from pump pressure and /or switching from splitting horizontal to vertical and vice versa, causing the hose to rub against the metal. I strongly suggest wrapping that part of the hydraulic line with duct or electrical tape. Other than checking for tightness and keeping a spare spark plug handy, it will blow through cords of wood. Oh, 1 more thing... If splitting horizontally, watch wood being dropped on the tires. They will puncture. Post pics when u can. Be well

Edit..... pine we use for shoulder season and kindlin, but not before it is css for a year. Great for the firepit too....:)

Reactions: firefighterjake
Maybe it's time to retire if you don't want to teach.....?

One thing I will say about the huskee 22 is, the one hydraulic line running from the pump through the axle, there is a grommet around where the hose goes through the axle that will wear out with the hose moving on its own from pump pressure and /or switching from splitting horizontal to vertical and vice versa, causing the hose to rub against the metal. I strongly suggest wrapping that part of the hydraulic line with duct or electrical tape. Other than checking for tightness and keeping a spare spark plug handy, it will blow through cords of wood. Oh, 1 more thing... If splitting horizontally, watch wood being dropped on the tires. They will puncture. Post pics when u can. Be well

Edit..... pine we use for shoulder season and kindlin, but not before it is css for a year. Great for the firepit too....:)
Yeah I was dropping wood on my tire today, I didn't install the wood catcher yet.... Also I had a few small puddles of oil on the tarp, I tightened up the factory set pieces above where I saw the drips, I hope this helps, thank you for your input and info, it helps....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I love burning pine. I usually get a cord a year and love it. In the shoulder season I burn pine if I have it. I love to mix it with hardwoods for faster start ups. It smells great. Dries out faster than hardwoods. Apparently two year old pine is a different animal. I've read on here that it burns awesome. I never have the patience to let it sit when I know its well under 20% moisture. The only drawback to pine is it can sometimes be a pain to split by hand.

Yeah its hard to split by hand when fresh, I mostly burn pine, does smell great, bunches of it by where I live. Just need a firewood permit forest pass., $15 per cord. I scored on a gas powered splitter for the pine, oak & other hard woods not so common. I have around 5 cords I drug home back in May. Only 2 cords split so far so I need to get on that but plenty split for this winter.....

If not for Pine, I'd pretty much have no wood to burn at all. Lots of us western woodburners have no access to hardwoods. Where I live there simply are no hardwoods available without a multi-hour drive over the Cascade Range to the "wet side" of Oregon. My firewood consists of mostly Lodgepole Pine, some Juniper, some Larch when I can get it, and (rarely) Douglas Fir. In spite of all that, we somehow don't routinely freeze to death in droves over the (plenty cold) winters. Another interesting factoid is that there are about 115 species of Pine...so we probably aren't all even talking about the same wood. Rick

Reactions: PapaDave and Seanm
Yeah its hard to split by hand when fresh, I mostly burn pine, does smell great, bunches of it by where I live. Just need a firewood permit forest pass., $15 per cord. I scored on a gas powered splitter for the pine, oak & other hard woods not so common. I have around 5 cords I drug home back in May. Only 2 cords split so far so I need to get on that but plenty split for this winter.....

Hey Bigfoot, I also burn pine (ponderosa) from the national forest in my area; we are allowed to take dead and downed wood with a permit. I use it mainly to get a fire started and going well before growing some harder wood on.
The only problem I see with pine is that it seems to quickly rot after being down, so you have to snag it quickly.

The only drawback to pine is it can sometimes be a pain to split by hand.
Roger that, especially when fresh. Pine also tends to have many more knots than other trees, making the splitting that much harder.

Ok popcorn eaters, stop eating for a minute (I don't want you to choke). :eek:
We heat our 1,500 sq ft, two story home in Canada, exclusively with easy splitting lodgepole pine trees that we cut down in the fall and start burning right away and throughout that winter. We go though about 3 cords a year with no backup heating. Wood cutting permits are free, and the trees are standing dead and pre-seasoned.

Reactions: BrianN
Our Eastern White Pine is great for firepits and campground fires as it still isn't burning in the morning like oak would be.
Plus you get to keep adding more and playing with the fire. :ZZZ

I'll burn it during the day if /when I have time to keep reloading .

Burned some Co Blue Spruce this last weekend outside and wow is it loud and quite a show of showery sparkling.

I split pine up into kindling. It's the best.

I burn some pine every year . . . as others have said the white pine gets used in the shoulder seasons, kindling and camp fires. It burns well once seasoned and produces plenty of heat . . . it just doesn't have the "legs" for a long burn.

I burn pine. I make my kindling out of pine, and any additional pine I stack with my other firewood. Pine isn't my first choice for a long burn, but it is my first choice for quickly warming up the stove. Even though it will burn when freshly cut, I still season it a year or two before burning pine.

Like others, I keep all easy pine scores - kindling and for shoulder season, as well as for the workshop stove - I have about 1.5 cord of 2 year stacked pine for this season. Just go easy and don't fill the fire box - the fire will roar! Cheers!

Ok popcorn eaters, stop eating for a minute (I don't want you to choke). :eek:
We heat our 1,500 sq ft, two story home in Canada, exclusively with easy splitting lodgepole pine trees that we cut down in the fall and start burning right away and throughout that winter. We go though about 3 cords a year with no backup heating. Wood cutting permits are free, and the trees are standing dead and pre-seasoned.
Mine are exactly the same as Lumber-Jack, but, mine have been processed. Meaning, no limbing. Just park next to the burn pile, throw what I want to the ground and buck up.
First year in this house with a wood burner, so, not sure what I will be burning, but, I am sure it will be under 4 cord. I will have 10 cord C/S/S by next weekend though.
Oh, and wood is our main heat source too. No Nat. Gas connection to the house. The pellet stove will probably not even be turned on this year, and there is no way that I am turning the dial on the electric base boards. Unless of course we head out of town for more than 3 days.

Our last house we lived in that had a wood stove, we burned pine. With -20 - -30C weather, and winter lasting 6 months up here. We ended up using under 3 cords. Very happy with pine, and our BK Princess at the time.

Reactions: Lumber-Jack
I have plenty of hardwood for heat, but I've been saving the pine for the maple syrup evaporator and for the keyhole firepit. Its great wood to burn for a fast, hot fire.....and as long as its seasoned properly (around a year C/S/S), it puts out no more creosote than any other wood......

I've boiled off thousands of gallons of maple sap with blue spruce......

Dang, and here we are out of popcorn...
Here ya go BB. Always have popcorn for the really interesting threads.;)
popcorn.gif

Thanks All, I got a lot of great information.... There are a lot of new burners out there these days. Good thing there's a forum like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.