1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lets talk vacation - Michigan people?

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by mithesaint, Jan 29, 2013.

1. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Hey all you Michigan-ites...I'm looking for a place to go on vacation this summer. I'd like to go somewhere near a lake so I can play in the water. Quiet areas/small towns are preferred. Probably renting a house/cabin, and considering bringing extended family along (there goes the quiet!). I have two small kids, so it's gotta be the lower peninsula. The UP is too long of a drive for us. Already did Mackinac island twice, so looking for something different. Traverse city is nice, but we were just there two years ago, and it's a long drive from NW OH.

Friends mentioned Saugatuck/Douglas area. Thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    First of all, Michiganders... Second, you're looking for advice from the trolls (who live below the bridge).
    I'm from the Manistee area. Nice place. Lakes, sand, tons of fishing, hiking, whatnot.
    Also, Cadillac is a nice place. Two lakes, lots of cabins to rent. I think its probably about three hours from Detroit, if that's any indication of travel time for ya.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Houghton Lake/Higgins Lake area is nice. The day use area at the S Higgins Lake state park is great if you have small children. The water is less than knee deep for a long way out, with a nice sandy bottom. Pretty popular area, I'm sure there are lots of cabins to rent.
  4. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Saugatuck Douglas area will be pretty pricey as will most places along Lake Michigan. Gun Lake area is nice and only 20 minutes or so from Grand Rapids.

Gary
  5. ChipTam

ChipTam Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE Michigan and Trinity, Newfoundland
    When we rented in northern Michigan we liked the Leelanaw Peninsular (just north of Traverse City) around Leland and Northport or the area around Cross Village (just south of Mackinac on Lake Michigan). But, then, we've always preferred the big lakes. If you could bend on your "no UP rule" the Keewanaw Peninsular also used to be a favorite with us. It's been 10 years since we rented in northern Michigan but I doubt it's changed all that much.
    ChipTam
    Pallet Pete likes this.
  6. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I went to school (mtu) in the keeweenaw and i can attest to how nice it is up there. If tc is to far though... Tc is about 45 minutes from where i live. Houghton/Hancock, in the keewenaw is 7 hours.
    If you're into the UP i can also suggest iron river. Grandma has a farm up there with 120 acres on 2 lakes. I've been spending summers up there for as long as i can remember. Sunset lake is the lake, but there's also ice lake and about a million teeny little lakes that only have numbers (like lake 9 and lake 15 and 16).
  7. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    West coast, sunset side, lake Michigan, a bit pricier but beautiful although you get a lot of loud tourist types. East coast, sunrise side, lake Huron, is a bit more affordable, and quieter for the most part. The middle of the state can be hot and really dry in august. I would find someplace on a river or a lake 25-45 min from Holland, or sugatuck . It will be a bit cheaper, quiet, you still have water and you can go to the big lake for a date to get the feel. just my. 02
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Leelanau peninsula and/or Charlevoix would be two great places. In the peninsula there are some lakes that are really ideal for small kids. I remember Lime lake where you could walk out a quarter mile and still water only to about your knees or lower. Clean water too. Some of the area can be hilly and great for bike riding but maybe a bit too big for young ones but there are still flatter roads esecially along the water. Then there it the Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes which is a great place for the whole family.

Charlevoix is one place where you will see many, many big boats. Seems lots of folks with big dollars come there from Chicago. The lake is great; either Lake MI or Lake Charleviox. If one wants to take some drives, this is a great place to start from. The drive up to Cross Village is really nice.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I'm almost jealous of you peeps from large states...you never have to deal with switching languages like we do when we go to Maine for vacation (snicker snicker).
  10. Retired Guy

Retired Guy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Vincent, NY
    Here we do the language change about 100 miles south of Albany
  11. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    In much of the UP, you have no doubt where you are because of the language, eh?
    yooperdave and 343amc like this.
  12. aussiedog3

aussiedog3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    West side all the way. Find yourself a cottage to rent on Hutchins Lake in Fennville, MI small town East of Saugatuck and South of Holland.
    Or Newaygo area Northwest of Grand Rapids, lots of cottages around inland lakes and an awesome river to raft down in tubes.
    Or Diamond Lake in White Cloud, MI. Have a great time.
  13. Shane N

Shane N Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Central MN
    Eh!
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  14. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    The Tawas, Oscoda and Alpena areas are nice if you're looking for smaller towns/less busy areas on one of the big lakes. The Cadillac and Houghton Lake areas as previously mentioned are good also if you're not opposed to being inland.

The Benzie County area is my favorite on the west side of the state. Anywhere north of the bridge is good too.
  15. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Remember, west dude of the state there should be sandy beaches. East side are mostly rocky. But still pretty cool.
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Couldn't have said it better Dennis we love that area of Michigan so much we go back every year at least once ! In addition some of the highest rated winery's and brewery's as well as bakeries are up in that area of Michigan.

Pete
  17. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

Think that's bad have my northern accent which is very strong then go to Texas and try to understand people. I get lost for a few days every time lol.

Pete
    Shane N likes this.
  18. mithesaint

mithesaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW Ohio
    Wow. Thanks for all the replies. I have some researching to do. Thanks again.
    Pallet Pete likes this.