Leyden Noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richkorn

Minister of Fire
Jul 28, 2008
SE CT
I'm looking for the cause of the noise(s) in my stove so I appreciate any info or advice anyone can give. Here is the background:

The stove is about a year old and had the exhaust blower replaced last Spring because it was making a loud racket; replacing it cleared up the noise.

A few weeks ago I had the convection blower replaced because that was making a loud clunking noise on low setting (#1) and loud overall on other settings, and blower wouldn't even turn on if on #1 when the stove came on, just sounded like a duck.

When they replaced the convection blower the stove quieted right down and blower was ok on #1.

Over the past week or so the stove is getting loud again with an annoying hum/buzz (almost like a 60 cycle annoying sound) and it sounds like it's coming from the convection blower. It's to the point where it's annoying even if i'm in another room, and that's on even a low blower setting.

What gives?

Could something be making these blowers crap out?

What supplies the volts/amps to the blower, the control board right?

Could the control board be bad somehow and ruining the blower(s)??

I'm just looking for opinions before I call the dealer (AGAIN) to come out. I also have an email in to Travis for their opinion.

Thanks!

Rick, have you checked the motor mounts on the blowers? My Leyden is also a year old, and mine did this when I first got it. The mounts were loose and I tightened them up, 1 problem solved. My other noise maker was the auger was not lined up right and wore a groove on the auger shaft. I had alot of noise from this also. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Since I have burned a good ton so far this season i'm going to do a thorough cleaning including the T and then start it up without the refractory panels, baffles or two rear panels installed. I want to eliminate anything that can rattle first. I'll check that blowers are on tight at the mount points. Then i'll look & see what it's doing while burning. If it's quiet then I'll take it to the next step .

Thanks for the reply

Rick, one other rattle noise I had was from the side panel on the left side (heat control side). The panel vibrated from blower motors, I put little rubber gromets on it for bushings, it took care of that noise. Hard to believe I still like this stove as much as I do. I think I finally have all the bugs out of it. Maybe it was a rush to production model (2008).

Rick,

Is the buzz constant or does it come and go depending on how hot the stove is?

Not trying to say it is the same thing at all, but my Lopi occasionally makes an annoying buzzing noise. Removed and reseated the side panels and that pretty much solved the problem.

Please let us know the outcome.

Ranger

offjack said:
Rick, one other rattle noise I had was from the side panel on the left side (heat control side). The panel vibrated from blower motors, I put little rubber gromets on it for bushings, it took care of that noise. Hard to believe I still like this stove as much as I do. I think I finally have all the bugs out of it. Maybe it was a rush to production model (2008).

Yes, My left side cast panel vibrates also but I couldn't see how to tighten it up since I have little room to see in there unless I pull stove out. Maybe I'll do that after the heating season.

the old ranger said:
Rick,

Is the buzz constant or does it come and go depending on how hot the stove is?

Not trying to say it is the same thing at all, but my Lopi occasionally makes an annoying buzzing noise. Removed and reseated the side panels and that pretty much solved the problem.

Please let us know the outcome.

Ranger

it appears to come and go and is worse when the stove is running awhile and really hot. Are you referring to the side cast iron panels? My left one rattles.

How did you remove and reseat them?

Thanks!

Rick,

I should have been more specific.

I was referring to the outside sheet metal panels that cover the blower areas on the right and the left sides of the stove, not the interior cast baffle plates.

Ranger

Rick, if it's the panel, i wedged a toothpick between the panel and the cast to quiet it down until i could fix it right. Mine also did not make noise until it got hot.

I had a reverberating noise last season & found it was the right outside sheetmetal panel . I placed a folded piece of paper to bind it & that stopped the noise. I have a Lopi Leyden also. It seems now, the igniter is kaput. I don't think i can get to it without disconnecting the back pipe & pulling the stove out . Like that's gonna happen ): . I'm the world's biggest procrastinator so's i see a long winter of manual usage which is a major pain on not so cold days. Having to shut it off when it gets too warm & restarting it with a propane plumbers torch. Good luck with yours. This is my 3rd burning season & i'm always picking up something about it. Very much like a 'puter Muss

Rich, last year I noticed a humm, electrical type sound when running on the lowest setting, while I was powering it with my generator. If I changed the blower speed to a higher setting it seemed to go away. Perhaps think about calling your electric company? A guy I work with chased an issue with his home (high quality) audio/video setup. Sent stuff back to the manufacturers who couldn't find anything wrong with the components. The maker of his amp suggested calling the power company. They tested his lines and found he was not getting the proper something (voltage, cycle, wave, current)? They fixed it. Just thinking out loud, good luck and Happy New Year to all.
Mike -

Just a quick update on my noise issues. The stove has been running fairly quiet for the past month or so and I think that the main problem was vibrations. Mine is vented 25' up the 8" wide fireplace flue with a 4" flex liner. The flex liner was making contact with the area of the flue where the damper used to be, so there was metal to metal contact. It appears that the vibration from the stove was resonating up through the T and flex liner to the existing flue and sort of creating a resonance. The whole metal fireplace insert would have a buzz to it.

I managed to push the stove in about 1/2" (that's all I can do) and push on the flex liner to get it so it's not touching the flue damper area. It's been pretty quiet since I did that and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is stays like this.

Ultimately i'd like to add an appliance adapter onto the back and then into the T so I can alleviate some of the stress on the flex liner. (Dealer didn't put appliance adapter on stove. The T goes right into the stove outlet.)

-rk

richkorn said:
......Ultimately i'd like to add an appliance adapter onto the back and then into the T so I can alleviate some of the stress on the flex liner. (Dealer didn't put appliance adapter on stove. The T goes right into the stove outlet.) -rk

The dealer installed it without an adapter?? That means he either used rope gasket to fill the big gap, or used a lot of silicone & gobbed it in the gap, or both.....did you know he was doing this during the install?

The T inserts right into the stove collar and it's actually a pretty good fit. They said they siliconed it and it is also wrapped with foil tape painted black. They said they do them all the time like this for installs such as mine, yes I questioned it a few months after the install because it didn't look right after I saw someone elses straight-thru vent with stove collar --> Adapter --> pipe through wall kit. They swear it's fine and another way to do it. They also said if I wanted an adapter on it would make the stove sit out another 4". I'll take a pic when I get a chance and post it, although it's hard to see back there.

I'm thinking that this summer I'll find an adapter that mates with the T and do it right. I might have to get the matching T also so that I'm sure they fit together (Selkirk or Simpson). I'm not sure what the brand is of my T but it does not have any twist-lock ends on it, just smooth stainless steel. The top of my T goes into the flex liner and has a hose clamp on it and foil tape.

richkorn said:
.....They also said if I wanted an adapter on it would make the stove sit out another 4". I'll take a pic when I get a chance and post it, although it's hard to see back there........

OK, that may be why they did it that way. Do you have room to move the stove, because just like they said, it does add about 4" to the length coming out the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.