LG Granules from PelletSales.com

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy am I thankful that this forum exists. I really got excited about a potential purchase of LG granules, until I did my homework and checked this thread and others.

Saw this ad on craigslist http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/grd/1600007049.html So I called the seller and he said his stove didn't like softwoods and he bought other pellets. I also asked him if they were stored inside and he said yes. Of course who knows where they were stored before he got them. That is the only info I got, and left it with him that there was a good chance I would be getting back to him. After all, I burned a few bags of these last year and thought at $200 a ton, I would jump on these. After reading this thread I am wondering, if he might be trying to pawn off a bad batch?

Now I have an Enviro and have never had any problems with softwoods or hardwoods. I don't know the answer to this, but are there stoves out there that react adversely to softwoods vs. hardwoods? This person did say that he had a very good modern stove, whatever that means, but I didn't ask him the brand.

Bottom line, I might see if he will sell me a couple bags to try, otherwise I will err on the side of caution, due to this thread. Any suggestions on what to ask him if I decide to call him back??

I purchased 2 tons of LGs from a local guy summer of 2008. I thought they were OK, a little on the crumbly side, the heat was fine. I don't know what prices are around you, but for probably another $25-$40, you could get a better pellet without the risk. If you burn a couple bags and they're OK, you buy the ton, then find others have absorbed moisture, poorly stored etc. etc. you are out of luck. At least if you buy them from a dealer, they're more likely to let you exchange them or get a refund for damaged bags. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.