Liberty on the way!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
Hey guys, just wanted to say that I finally ordered a Liberty. It should be here tomorrow. I cant wait until I get it installed and get to have that first fire.

I have what may seem as a silly question. I have been working at this small cabin for a about a week installing new floor joists, sill plate, bond board and center beam cause the originals have all rotted out. Anyway, in this house we have been using their wood stove to keep the chilly temps at bay and they have a older cast iron pot on the stove with water in it of course. So it got me thinking, what kinds of cool things can you have on your stove or nice accessories? Like pots with water to help minutely with humidity, or add some potpouri to it for a nice arroma? Just curious as to what some of you do is all.

I have an insert. The only thing on top of mine is dust. :lol:

You can put a pot of whatever you want up there, and with luck, it'll get hot enough to put a bit of scent in the air, but it's not gonna change the humidity in your home to any extent that any instrument you can afford will measure. Rick

madrone said:
Dutch oven full of elk stew.

I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Welcome to the Lopi family. You're going to enjoy that stove!

Oh man, the elk stew sounds fantastic, lol. Nice slow cook all day with that nice scent!

I have two pieces of 1/4" thick slate, 6"x9". One goes on the top shelf for warming on and
the other goes on the bottom shelf for cooking/frying on.
Enjoy it.

No Liberty . . . but on top of my Oslo right now there is a trivet with an enamel steamer which I often fill with water and some potpourri scents . . . especially when guests are coming over . . . and then there is the stove top thermometer.

Coming soon however . . . I've ordered a soapstone top . . . gonna try it out and see how it works and looks. I'll be sure to take a pic when I get it up and running.

firefighterjake said:
No Liberty . . . but on top of my Oslo right now there is a trivet with an enamel steamer which I often fill with water and some potpourri scents . . . especially when guests are coming over . . . and then there is the stove top thermometer.

Coming soon however . . . I've ordered a soapstone top . . . gonna try it out and see how it works and looks. I'll be sure to take a pic when I get it up and running.

Crashing a Liberty thread? :ahhh:

Well bummer, thought I would have had my stove today, but my retailer didnt get it in yesterday like he thought. Now I have to wait till next tuesday on the delivery date!

What is the advantage, besides looks to have the step top of the liberty? Does one step get hotter than the other?

boisblancboy said:
...What is the advantage, besides looks to have the step top of the liberty? Does one step get hotter than the other?

Step-tops are built the way they are primarily for structural integrity and thermal stability. That configuration allows the use of thinner plate without the top of the stove warping over time. The manufacturers' designers have taken advantage of this in the way the external airflow is directed around the stoves (either forced or natural convection) to more effectively distribute all the heat the stoves put out. Rick

fossil said:
boisblancboy said:
...What is the advantage, besides looks to have the step top of the liberty? Does one step get hotter than the other?

Step-tops are built the way they are primarily for structural integrity and thermal stability. That configuration allows the use of thinner plate without the top of the stove warping over time. The manufacturers' designers have taken advantage of this in the way the external airflow is directed around the stoves (either forced or natural convection) to more effectively distribute all the heat the stoves put out. Rick

That's nice Rick.

To answer your question, yes. :lol:

Well my stove finally made it. Hopefully this weekend I can get it all installed! She is a beautiful piece, cant wait to see some flames! Any advice on first burns for the liberty?

boisblancboy said:
Well my stove finally made it. Hopefully this weekend I can get it all installed! She is a beautiful piece, cant wait to see some flames! Any advice on first burns for the liberty?

I did about 4 break in fires on my Endeavor. For the first 3, I left the bypass damper open. First fire was literally nothing but wadded up newspaper and kindling. Let the stove cool to the touch. Second fire: newspaper, kindling, and 2 or 3 1" to 3" splits. Let the stove cool to the touch. Third fire: newspaper, kindling, 2 or 3 1" to 3" splits, and 1 or 2 4" splits. Let the stove cool to the touch. Fourth fire, well you get the idea. On the fourth I closed the bypass damper once the fire was fully involved, and I had secondary combustion.

Hardest part was being patient and letting the stove cool. :lol:

Now I noticed in the manuals that it doesnt say anything about breaking-in the stove with smaller burns really. I know from common sense it would be a good idea to have these break in fires, but are there cases of things going wrong if you dont and just start a normal big fire?

With a new installation of a steel stove I do small burns just so if there is a problem with the venting or the stove I don't have a full blown burn in progress that I can't stop. As to burn in for the stoves sake when I do the initial burn outside I light it up and stuff it with wood and head for six hundred degrees. Steel stoves don't need the baby steps to cure stones, furnace cement et. al. like soapstone and cast iron stoves so. You are not going to get those joints as hot as the welder did.

I did the break-ins in my Liberty pretty much following the guidelines in the scanty documentation that came with my little CFM. Couple of fires ~20-30 minutes up to ~250°F. Third fire up to 500°F-700°F for 45-60 minutes. As BB said, with a steel stove, it's mostly all about proving the soundness of the installation and curing the finish on the stove & connector pipe. Be prepared to ventilate because of the fumes from the stove paint. Rick

Good info guys! Im just getting excited to light it up for the first time, but it all takes time to get things done and done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.