Lifes a Beech and Beech Wood Aging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

golfandwoodnut

Minister of Fire
I had a relaxing day at the Beech today. I decided to try to Grapple Forks on my Bobcat out to bring the big logs back to the house and cut them there. It worked out well. I cut up the logs and split a few. It made me thirsty for a beer, and what better beer for the day than a Bud. After all they use Beech wood aging.

Attachments

• beech3.jpg
    beech3.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 398
  • beech2.jpg
    beech2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 367
  • beech1.jpg
    beech1.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 375
Here is a better view of the Grapple Forks.

Attachments

• grappleforks.jpg
    grappleforks.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 360
If not too far that is a great way to bring logs in for cutting. You have some very nice wood there.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I had a relaxing day at the Beech today. I decided to try to Grapple Forks on my Bobcat out to bring the big logs back to the house and cut them there. It worked out well. I cut up the logs and split a few. It made me thirsty for a beer, and what better beer for the day than a Bud. After all they use Beech wood aging.

Bobcat,Beech and Beer the three B's, looks like you had a great day. You have to like that Beech on a cold winter night.

zap

Thanks guys, I am down 10 lbs this summer so I guess the wood workout is doing the job. As they say it heats you twice, once when you cut it and again when you burn it. Dennis, I did have to haul it a pretty good distance, but it probably only took about 10 minutes each way and I never had to get out of the bobcat. It did take two trips because the 6 logs must have weighed over 2,000 lbs because my Bobcat could not lift them all at once. However I was trying to estimate my ATV trips and it would have been numerous. Part of the problem is that it is hard to pull a trailer up the steep hills around here. Another thing I did like is that It was easy to cut at home because it is flat and I could easily roll the logs.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Here is a better view of the Grapple Forks.

NICE! The Beech is cool to.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Thanks guys, I am down 10 lbs this summer so I guess the wood workout is doing the job. As they say it heats you twice, once when you cut it and again when you burn it. Dennis, I did have to haul it a pretty good distance, but it probably only took about 10 minutes each way and I never had to get out of the bobcat. It did take two trips because the 6 logs must have weighed over 2,000 lbs because my Bobcat could not lift them all at once. However I was trying to estimate my ATV trips and it would have been numerous. Part of the problem is that it is hard to pull a trailer up the steep hills around here. Another thing I did like is that It was easy to cut at home because it is flat and I could easily roll the logs.

I can't disagree with you at all. Glad that worked out because it saves work and time.

btw, if you split that beech by hand, do not try to split it through the heart. Although you can do it, beech splits much easier taking off the sides and leaving the heart alone.

Backwoods Savage said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

I can't disagree with you at all. Glad that worked out because it saves work and time.

btw, if you split that beech by hand, do not try to split it through the heart. Although you can do it, beech splits much easier taking off the sides and leaving the heart alone.
Dennis, I saw you wrote this once before. However I found Beech to split really easy. Almost as easy as fresh Oak. I split all the logs yesterday, pretty close to a cord. It only took about 3 wacks in the middle to crack it open then a wack at a time to make a nice pie piece.

Yes of course you can split it that way and plenty of folks do. I'm just saying it splits easier from the sides, especially using an axe rather than splitting maul. I don't have any beech here so it has been a long time since I've split any and way back when, I used to split only with an axe so always tried to seek the easiest way to split.

Status
Not open for further replies.