Light smoke but clean glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleeper-6

Nov 16, 2014
Hunterdon County, NJ
Morning Everyone, I'm new to burning, Indoors anyway, and really liking to propane savings so far. The last few weeks have been educational to say the least, It took a little time to learn the "personality" of my insert. How it likes to be loaded, when to cut back, how far, etc.... I know ideally there would be no smoke from the chimney but sometimes I get some light blue smoke (invisible after 10 ft or so). Adding air sometimes helps, sometimes not. The glass and interior of the insert is always clean, so just how bad is a little smoke? I have a Sooteater on the way, so I will be doing my first cleaning hopefully next weekend. I do not have a screen on the end of the liner, but a large screen / cap that covered the entire chimney top (18" x 40"). That is still clean, maybe a little sooty, but no buildup to be seen.
My wood supply is mixed, lots of 4x4 wood from work (used as cribbing on flatbeds) some of it is oak, some other mystery woods. that measures 15-18% moisture and some Black Walnut that measures about the same.

A little smoke on startup or reload is not uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.